This page deals with “learning styles”. By knowing your own learning style, you can recognize how you best acquire knowledge and so determine a study method that suits you when studying by distance or online learning.
Imagine you are going to learn a new task. It could be laying a laminate floor, following a new recipe or learning to use a new TV remote control. How do you approach the task?
Approach 1: Do you sit down with the instructions and read them through before trying?
Approach 2: Do you get stuck in to the task straight away? Do you ask others for help and then move on to a new task as soon as this one is complete?
Approach 3: Do you ask around and get advice, ponder on the topic and weigh up the different ways of doing the task?
Approach 4: Do you read the instructions but are eager to put them into practice and get on with the job?
These four approaches were characterised by Honey and Mumford as distinct styles of learning (or learning styles):
Theorists read the instructions before starting a task. You are a theoretical learner if you choose Approach 1.
Activists will explore the task and learn from this exploration. Activist learners would use Approach 2.
Reflectors will think about the task in hand and consider the alternatives carefully before embarking on the task. This is a person who asks around and considers the different approaches to the task. This type of learner uses Approach 3 when learning new tasks.
Pragmatists prefer to learn by testing. They would consider how to apply an approach to the task in hand. Pragmatists would choose Approach 4
(A modification of the Open University UK online course that deals with learning styles.)
Click here for more about how to learn online.
Learning styles and your studies
If you know your own learning style, you can determine a study method that suits you when studying by distance or online learning. Indeed, more than that – you can decide whether or not you are suited for online learning. The ability to think independently, self-discipline, motivation and good time management are all required for online learning to be effective. If you have a problem with these, then a teacher driven, on-campus degree may be the best for you.
Books in Online and Distance Learning?
Just because the program is online doesn’t mean that there will be no book reading at all. Many of the courses in a program will have “prescribed texts” that you will be expected to buy or will be included in the cost of the course.
In addition to these prescribed texts, there will also be “recommended texts” – and if they are not available online you may be expected to consult these in a library or buy them.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Human Services Management
- And more...
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- And more...
- Top-ranked online MBA
- As few as 24 months to complete
- GMAT waivers for experienced professionals
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Six concentrations available
- AACSB accredited
- Master of Business Adminitration (MBA)
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind. Hofstra University is committed to academic freedom and to the transmission, advancement and preservation of knowledge for its own academic community and the community at large.
- Online Master of Arts in Health Law and Policy
- Online Master of Laws in Health Law and Policy
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
Earn your degree 100% online with the flexibility and affordability that an online education affords. Abraham Lincoln University is dedicated to providing focused, practical, online courses at all degree levels.
- Associate of Science in Paralegal Studies
- Juris Doctor
- Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies
- And more...
Gain the skills needed to become a project manager in a highly acclaimed masters program.
- MS in Supply Chain Management
- Masters in Health Communication
- MS in Project Management
- And more...
The University of Denver’s Graduate School of Social Work (GSSW) prepares students to fight for social change through its traditional Master of Social Work (MSW) program delivered online. The 90-credit program can be completed in as few as 27 months and is designed for students who earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than social work from a regionally accredited college or university. Traditional MSW students complete both the foundation curriculum and concentration curriculum in Mental Health and Trauma.
- Master of Social Work (MSW)