This page deals with “learning styles”. By knowing your own learning style, you can recognize how you best acquire knowledge and so determine a study method that suits you when studying by distance or online learning.
Imagine you are going to learn a new task. It could be laying a laminate floor, following a new recipe or learning to use a new TV remote control. How do you approach the task?
Approach 1: Do you sit down with the instructions and read them through before trying?
Approach 2: Do you get stuck in to the task straight away? Do you ask others for help and then move on to a new task as soon as this one is complete?
Approach 3: Do you ask around and get advice, ponder on the topic and weigh up the different ways of doing the task?
Approach 4: Do you read the instructions but are eager to put them into practice and get on with the job?
These four approaches were characterised by Honey and Mumford as distinct styles of learning (or learning styles):
Theorists read the instructions before starting a task. You are a theoretical learner if you choose Approach 1.
Activists will explore the task and learn from this exploration. Activist learners would use Approach 2.
Reflectors will think about the task in hand and consider the alternatives carefully before embarking on the task. This is a person who asks around and considers the different approaches to the task. This type of learner uses Approach 3 when learning new tasks.
Pragmatists prefer to learn by testing. They would consider how to apply an approach to the task in hand. Pragmatists would choose Approach 4
(A modification of the Open University UK online course that deals with learning styles.)
Click here for more about how to learn online.
Learning styles and your studies
If you know your own learning style, you can determine a study method that suits you when studying by distance or online learning. Indeed, more than that – you can decide whether or not you are suited for online learning. The ability to think independently, self-discipline, motivation and good time management are all required for online learning to be effective. If you have a problem with these, then a teacher driven, on-campus degree may be the best for you.
Books in Online and Distance Learning?
Just because the program is online doesn’t mean that there will be no book reading at all. Many of the courses in a program will have “prescribed texts” that you will be expected to buy or will be included in the cost of the course.
In addition to these prescribed texts, there will also be “recommended texts” – and if they are not available online you may be expected to consult these in a library or buy them.
List of schools and programs
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Forensic Science
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Human Services
- And more...
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
- Masters in Political Management
- MBA in Healthcare
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
The Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland is recognized by Bloomberg Businessweek and U.S. News & World Report as one of the nation’s Best Business Schools. Students who complete their master’s degree online become part of a network of over 60,000 Smith School alumni, including more than 8,500 MBA graduates, making them part of a powerful network of business connections.
- MBA - Information Systems & Business Analytics
- MBA - General
- MBA - Marketing
- And more...
You can receive a top-notch education in a flexible environment. Learn more about the Villanova online learning experience and the difference that sets us apart by further exploring our online programs.
Rankings- Villanova University is consistently ranked among the best in the nation
- The Villanova School of Business (VSB) was recognized among the top schools in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Online Graduate Business Programs ranking, earning the #1 rank.
- Villanova University was recognized among the top schools in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Online MBA Programs.
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law is approved by the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 988-6738. 21 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 988-6738.
- Online Master of Laws in Taxation
- Online Master of Science in Analytics
- Online Master of Business Administration
- And more...
Simmons University’s online Master of Social Work program can be completed in as few as 15 months, and GRE scores are not required.
- Master of Social Work
The Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is located in the heart of Washington, D.C., and is dedicated to advancing the health of communities on a local, national and global scale. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute School focuses on the fields of medicine, business and education to prepare professionals in health care and health services to tackle complex global health challenges.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics and Analytics
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
Work toward your graduate degree with New England College Online. We offer master's degree programs in management, accounting, and public policy that can be completed 100% online.
- MS in Management/Project Management
- Master of Science in Accounting
- MS in Management/Non-Profit Leadership
- And more...