This page deals with “learning styles”. By knowing your own learning style, you can recognize how you best acquire knowledge and so determine a study method that suits you when studying by distance or online learning.
Imagine you are going to learn a new task. It could be laying a laminate floor, following a new recipe or learning to use a new TV remote control. How do you approach the task?
Approach 1: Do you sit down with the instructions and read them through before trying?
Approach 2: Do you get stuck in to the task straight away? Do you ask others for help and then move on to a new task as soon as this one is complete?
Approach 3: Do you ask around and get advice, ponder on the topic and weigh up the different ways of doing the task?
Approach 4: Do you read the instructions but are eager to put them into practice and get on with the job?
These four approaches were characterised by Honey and Mumford as distinct styles of learning (or learning styles):
Theorists read the instructions before starting a task. You are a theoretical learner if you choose Approach 1.
Activists will explore the task and learn from this exploration. Activist learners would use Approach 2.
Reflectors will think about the task in hand and consider the alternatives carefully before embarking on the task. This is a person who asks around and considers the different approaches to the task. This type of learner uses Approach 3 when learning new tasks.
Pragmatists prefer to learn by testing. They would consider how to apply an approach to the task in hand. Pragmatists would choose Approach 4
(A modification of the Open University UK online course that deals with learning styles.)
Click here for more about how to learn online.
Learning styles and your studies
If you know your own learning style, you can determine a study method that suits you when studying by distance or online learning. Indeed, more than that – you can decide whether or not you are suited for online learning. The ability to think independently, self-discipline, motivation and good time management are all required for online learning to be effective. If you have a problem with these, then a teacher driven, on-campus degree may be the best for you.
Books in Online and Distance Learning?
Just because the program is online doesn’t mean that there will be no book reading at all. Many of the courses in a program will have “prescribed texts” that you will be expected to buy or will be included in the cost of the course.
In addition to these prescribed texts, there will also be “recommended texts” – and if they are not available online you may be expected to consult these in a library or buy them.
List of schools and programs
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
- Payroll Clerk
- Private Investigation
- High School
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Human Services
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Business Administration
- MS in Accounting - Audit Specialization
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - School Counseling
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies (iSchool)—The Original Information School—is proud of its position as a leader in the field. The iSchool’s community of more than 50 faculty members, more than 1,400 students, and nearly 10,000 alumni are dedicated to driving innovation in information services and leveraging the power of information to build a better world.
- Master of Science in Library and Information Sciences
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Forensic Science
- And more...
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years. Our nationally-ranked graduate programs provide flexible opportunities to students around the globe
- Master of Business Analytics
- Master of Health Administration