What is a licensed practical nurse (LPN)? As an LPN it would be your job to tend to the needs of people when your skills are most needed, i.e., when they are ill or recuperating from sickness or surgery. The education and training required is provided in a licensed practical nurse program. This page has further details of the content of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are on completion, and more …
You might also like to check out the licensed vocational nurse programs, which are the same as LPN programs. And also check the LPN to BSN programs and the nursing programs for an idea of how you can extend your education and training after qualifying as an LPN of LVN.
Licensed practical nurse training programs are an important start to a career in nursing
At present, the world of medicine is begging for qualified nurses. It should come as no surprise to anyone that the United States and many other country’s are suffering from a nursing shortage. So explore the many opportunities to be had with a career in nursing. The job may not be a glamorous one, but knowing that your training has in some way contributed to the saving of a human life will fill you with a gratification that can never be equaled in any other career.
Becoming a licensed practical nurse (LPN), or licensed vocational nurse (LVN), by taking a suitable program is a useful way to start your career in nursing. Note that LPN programs are essentially the same as LVN programs.
What does a typical licensed practical nurse program cover?
The main priority of becoming an licensed practical nurse is training. You will need to have a high school diploma or an equivalent GED before you would even be considered as a candidate for the program. Once enrolled you would have to complete the program and go on to take the testing necessary to become licensed. These exams can vary from state to state, but obtaining an LPN license is impossible unless the tests are completed and passed.
The actual LPN education you will receive will take approximately one year of study. There will be class lectures to attend as well as hands on training classes that will show you how to administer the techniques that you are taught in class. Some of the subjects that will be covered in your studies are, physiology, pediatrics, obstetrics, basic anatomy and nutrition. The clinical, or hands on part of your study program, will be done in a nursing home, a hospital, or a doctor’s office.
What are the career prospects for licensed practical nurses?
Licensed Practical Nursing offers a wide variety of jobs. Obtaining a position in a hospital can be particularly exciting as nurses are often expected to work in many different areas of the hospital. One day may find you working with various illnesses in the emergency room, and the next day you will be assisting with bringing a new life into the world on the maternity ward. There are also many openings in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and doctor’s offices. With a licensed practical nurse degree you could even go on to become an educator that trains others in your field. A Licensed Practical Nurse also has the option of working for the federal government.
A licensed practical nurse salary is above average. Most people can expect to earn anywhere between $25,000 and $40,000 a year in the United States. These figures do not take overtime pay into consideration. Pay is usually commensurate to the place you work. A doctor’s office will bring you less pay that a position held in any hospital atmosphere.
If so desired, an LPN can continue their schooling to obtain a bachelor’s degree in nursing (LPN to BSN), and then take the registration exam to become an RN (registered nurse). The advantage of being a registered nurse vs licensed practical nurse is that it enables you to take on more interesting work in trauma units, emergency rooms, or pediatrics, or administrative jobs. It will also give you the potential for making an even higher salary.
List of schools and programs
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
- Prepare for a Health Care Career with an Online Degree from Keiser University. Get Started Today!
- Keiser University has a variety of degree programs in the health care field including Medical Assisting, Medical Billing and Coding, Health Science and more!
- From Medical Assisting to Health Science to Health Services Administration, Keiser can help you get started in the health care industry.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- We offer you the support and flexibility you need to fit education into your busy life with our one class at a time schedule
- Healthcare - Online - Associate Degree
- Healthcare - Online - Bachelor Degree
- Healthcare - Online - Master Degree
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - 100% Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!