LPN to BSN – What is it? Do you want to know more about taking these career enriching programs? If you are a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), you may wish to upgrade to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. Special upgrade programs have been created to help you do this – and can be studied online.
For an LPN nurse, there are several advantages to getting your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree if you have the time and money to do it. Most LPN’s take a BSN program in order to achieve a Registered Nurse (RN) certification. But the BSN will also give you a solid foundation in the theory behind nursing and in how nursing practice fits into the overall environment of health care. This greater contextual understanding equips you to take on interesting work in emergency rooms, trauma units, or pediatrics, or even administrative jobs. Many of the best nursing jobs – specialties like Nurse Practitioner, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Nurse Administrator, and so on – require a BSN degree or even a Masters degree as well.
And you can usually earn a higher salary after completing a BSN. This page considers reasons for taking such programs, looks at LPN vs BSN qualifications in the nursing profession, and provides resources and links for Licensed Practical Nurses.
What is studied in the program?
Nurses who have their LPN license should have already taken courses in first aid, patient care, medical terminology, and medical equipment. An upgrade program to a BSN extends this basic knowledge by combining general education, with science, nursing theory and clinical nursing. Typical courses might include: English and Communications; Introduction to Algebra; Psychology; Human Development; Sociology; Statistics; Microbiology; Anatomy; Physiology; Biochemistry; Gerontology; Nutrition Science; Nursing Science; Pharmacology; Professional Nurse Caring. Earning a BSN will take two years for a nurse with an LPN license.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual earnings of registered nurses are over $57,000, whereas the median annual earnings of licensed practical nurses are over $36,000. To become a Registered Nurse, you will have to pass a nursing certification exam – the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in the US. This exam tests the knowledge and problem solving skills needed to provide adequate health care to patients and are needed in order to work in any health care facility. Graduates of a BSN program are well prepared to take the NCLEX exam for Registered Nurses. For more details read how to become an RN.
List of schools and programs
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- RN to BSN
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education