LPN to BSN – What is it? Do you want to know more about taking these career enriching programs? If you are a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), you may wish to upgrade to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. Special upgrade programs have been created to help you do this – and can be studied online.
For an LPN nurse, there are several advantages to getting your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree if you have the time and money to do it. Most LPN’s take a BSN program in order to achieve a Registered Nurse (RN) certification. But the BSN will also give you a solid foundation in the theory behind nursing and in how nursing practice fits into the overall environment of health care. This greater contextual understanding equips you to take on interesting work in emergency rooms, trauma units, or pediatrics, or even administrative jobs. Many of the best nursing jobs – specialties like Nurse Practitioner, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Nurse Administrator, and so on – require a BSN degree or even a Masters degree as well.
And you can usually earn a higher salary after completing a BSN. This page considers reasons for taking such programs, looks at LPN vs BSN qualifications in the nursing profession, and provides resources and links for Licensed Practical Nurses.
What is studied in the program?
Nurses who have their LPN license should have already taken courses in first aid, patient care, medical terminology, and medical equipment. An upgrade program to a BSN extends this basic knowledge by combining general education, with science, nursing theory and clinical nursing. Typical courses might include: English and Communications; Introduction to Algebra; Psychology; Human Development; Sociology; Statistics; Microbiology; Anatomy; Physiology; Biochemistry; Gerontology; Nutrition Science; Nursing Science; Pharmacology; Professional Nurse Caring. Earning a BSN will take two years for a nurse with an LPN license.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual earnings of registered nurses are over $57,000, whereas the median annual earnings of licensed practical nurses are over $36,000. To become a Registered Nurse, you will have to pass a nursing certification exam – the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in the US. This exam tests the knowledge and problem solving skills needed to provide adequate health care to patients and are needed in order to work in any health care facility. Graduates of a BSN program are well prepared to take the NCLEX exam for Registered Nurses. For more details read how to become an RN.
List of schools and programs
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Pre-Nursing
- Accelerate your nursing career, deliver better patient care and earn 28 CNEs with Vohra’s Wound Certified Nurse (VWCN™) distinction. Use code HELLO50 for $50 off any Wound Care Certification program.
- 11 Core Modules
- 2 Bonus Modules
- Unlimited Access
- 28 ANCC Continuing Nursing Education Credits
- Wound Care Certification
- Wound Care Certification
The Secret to Getting Ahead Is Getting Started
With a mission of helping students graduate, launch better careers, and gain greater independence to live the life they want as soon as possible, Independence University offers flexible fully online degree programs. Program options are available in healthcare, business, information technology, and graphic arts. The programs are career-focused to help ensure the knowledge and skills you learn match what today's employers are looking for.
- Nursing (RN completion to BS) (RN req.)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!