LPN to BSN – What is it? Do you want to know more about taking these career enriching programs? If you are a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), you may wish to upgrade to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. Special upgrade programs have been created to help you do this – and can be studied online.
For an LPN nurse, there are several advantages to getting your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree if you have the time and money to do it. Most LPN’s take a BSN program in order to achieve a Registered Nurse (RN) certification. But the BSN will also give you a solid foundation in the theory behind nursing and in how nursing practice fits into the overall environment of health care. This greater contextual understanding equips you to take on interesting work in emergency rooms, trauma units, or pediatrics, or even administrative jobs. Many of the best nursing jobs – specialties like Nurse Practitioner, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Nurse Administrator, and so on – require a BSN degree or even a Masters degree as well.
And you can usually earn a higher salary after completing a BSN. This page considers reasons for taking such programs, looks at LPN vs BSN qualifications in the nursing profession, and provides resources and links for Licensed Practical Nurses.
What is studied in the program?
Nurses who have their LPN license should have already taken courses in first aid, patient care, medical terminology, and medical equipment. An upgrade program to a BSN extends this basic knowledge by combining general education, with science, nursing theory and clinical nursing. Typical courses might include: English and Communications; Introduction to Algebra; Psychology; Human Development; Sociology; Statistics; Microbiology; Anatomy; Physiology; Biochemistry; Gerontology; Nutrition Science; Nursing Science; Pharmacology; Professional Nurse Caring. Earning a BSN will take two years for a nurse with an LPN license.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual earnings of registered nurses are over $57,000, whereas the median annual earnings of licensed practical nurses are over $36,000. To become a Registered Nurse, you will have to pass a nursing certification exam – the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in the US. This exam tests the knowledge and problem solving skills needed to provide adequate health care to patients and are needed in order to work in any health care facility. Graduates of a BSN program are well prepared to take the NCLEX exam for Registered Nurses. For more details read how to become an RN.
List of schools and programs
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended Chamberlain University can be found at http://chamberlain.edu/ge
- RN to BSN Online Option
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!