If you want to really progress your career in nursing by going into a leadership, or administrative, or education role, then you need to take a master of science in nursing (MSN) program. It prepares you to be a nurse leader – someone who can demonstrate the advanced critical thinking, communication, and decision making skills required for a position as an advanced practice registered nurse (APRN). An MSN Nurse Educator program specifically prepares you to move into a rewarding career in education, whilst a Master of Healthcare Administration enables you to move into a senior position in administration.
This page explains the options, and has details of where you can take these programs, the content of a typical masters in nursing, the career and salary prospects after completing it, and more.
If you study your master of science in nursing online, then you can carry on working and earning. Of course, before taking a masters program, you will need to have completed a relevant undergraduate program, such as a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
What is studied in MSN programs?
MSN programs prepare you to use research findings to improve health outcomes, as well as use knowledge of healthcare policy, systems, change and finance to effectively manage available resources. The programs are developed to create strong, visionary nurse leaders.
Typically, MSN programs would include: communication skills; critical thinking and decision-making skills; leadership and management theory; human and finacial resource planning; evidence based practices to improve quality of healthcare; the role of the nurse leader/manager; theories of nursing, systems, change, leadership and management.
A masters program prepares nurse leaders to use this knowledge together with theories from nursing and related disciplines to improve the environment in which healthcare is delivered. It can form the basis of the APRN education required for specializing as a: Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM), Clinical nurse specialist (CNS), or Nurse practitioners (NP).
One career pathway for nurses is to become a nursing educator. Capella University offers two specializations in online MSN programs in nursing education. Both incorporate the “Essentials of Master‘s Education for Advanced Practice Nursing” established by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, with a focus on nursing education. Yet another pathway would be health care administration or management such as found at Walden University, University of Phoenix Online and Independence University. More details of the many schools where it can be studied can be found on the masters in health care management page.
Online RN to MSN
Some schools/colleges offer accelerated programs designed for graduates of associate degree nursing programs who wish to earn the master of science in nursing (MSN) degree. RN to MSN programs can allow nurses to pursue a master’s degree while they still work on their Bachelor’s degree. Nurses completing these accelerated programs earn their BS in Nursing and MS in Nursing degrees at a faster pace and lower cost than completing each degree separately. Alternatively, in some cases RN to MSN programs allow nurses to pursue a master’s degree without completing a BSN at all.
List of nursing schools and masters programs
- CCNE-Accredited Master of Science in Nursing Programs
- Grand Canyon's 4-credit master’s classes allow you to complete your Master of Science in Nursing degree in less time.
- Our master's in nursing programs include advanced practice roles in primary care and acute care, as well as curriculums which prepare nurses for roles in nursing leadership, nursing education & more.
- Students can elect to take courses online or through our evening classes which meet just once a week at the Phoenix campus and other satellite locations throughout Arizona.
- Grand Canyon is highly recognized in the healthcare industry for outstanding programs for practicing nurses who are seeking to further their education.
- Request information – learn more about program offerings, start dates, financial aid & more!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- M.B.A. and M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems (dual degree)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!