Medical assisting is an exciting and high demand career, involving both clinical and administrative tasks in support of a medical team. Some of the clinical task will include taking the vitals signs of patients, drawing blood, and performing other health checks. The administration part involves the preparations of documents, which shall also include insurance and the billing forms for all patients, the use of coding, administration of computer software and organizing the environment of the office.
Medical assistant degrees provide the knowledge and skills required to qualify you to apply for the many job opportunities in this field. This page provides information about the programs, provides links to suitable schools, outlines the career prospects, and more.
What training is involved?
One type of program for this particular field is the associate degree, which aims to help produce a very well rounded assistant who shall be able to provide a supporting role in both the administrative and clinical functions. During most programs you should be able to gain plenty of hands on experience within this particular field and you may also choose to complete an internship as well.
Some classroom courses for this kind of degree program will include topics like the introductions to phlebotomy, medical assisting, terminology, clinical assisting, records processing and other classes as well that will be in regard to this degree program. The skills and knowledge that a student shall learn with this program is performing some important clinical task, like taking vital signs, and administrative task such as preparing the billings along with the insurance documents. If a career in this area sounds like the kind of thing that will interest you, then you may wish to continue studying for a medical assisting bachelors degree.
Salaries and job prospects in medical assisting careers?
What is the average salary for a medical assistant? There are plenty of medical assistant jobs to choose from when entering into this field and salaries vary according to which one you choose. Here are some of the jobs that are available along with their median incomes as it was reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. A records technicians yearly salary is about $35,000 per year. An assistants yearly salary is around $34,000 and lab technicians salary is about $40,000 per year.
In regard to the job outlook for this type of work is just wonderful as the BLS predicted that assistants in this field have one of the greatest job outlooks of any other kinds of professions as it is growing rapidly and will keep very steady due to the high demand for these kinds of professions. It seems very likely that records technicians jobs will grow faster than the average in the near future. Similarly, the high demand for the lab technicians will grow faster than its average during the same time. So obtaining a medical assisting degree or other certification can lead to a wonderful medical assistant career.
List of medical assisting schools and programs
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- Medical Assisting - Associates Degree
- Billing & Coding Specialist, Associates Degree
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!