Medical assisting is an exciting and high demand career, involving both clinical and administrative tasks in support of a medical team. Some of the clinical task will include taking the vitals signs of patients, drawing blood, and performing other health checks. The administration part involves the preparations of documents, which shall also include insurance and the billing forms for all patients, the use of coding, administration of computer software and organizing the environment of the office.
Medical assistant degrees provide the knowledge and skills required to qualify you to apply for the many job opportunities in this field. This page provides information about the programs, provides links to suitable schools, outlines the career prospects, and more.
What training is involved?
One type of program for this particular field is the associate degree, which aims to help produce a very well rounded assistant who shall be able to provide a supporting role in both the administrative and clinical functions. During most programs you should be able to gain plenty of hands on experience within this particular field and you may also choose to complete an internship as well.
Some classroom courses for this kind of degree program will include topics like the introductions to phlebotomy, medical assisting, terminology, clinical assisting, records processing and other classes as well that will be in regard to this degree program. The skills and knowledge that a student shall learn with this program is performing some important clinical task, like taking vital signs, and administrative task such as preparing the billings along with the insurance documents. If a career in this area sounds like the kind of thing that will interest you, then you may wish to continue studying for a medical assisting bachelors degree.
Salaries and job prospects in medical assisting careers?
What is the average salary for a medical assistant? There are plenty of medical assistant jobs to choose from when entering into this field and salaries vary according to which one you choose. Here are some of the jobs that are available along with their median incomes as it was reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. A records technicians yearly salary is about $35,000 per year. An assistants yearly salary is around $34,000 and lab technicians salary is about $40,000 per year.
In regard to the job outlook for this type of work is just wonderful as the BLS predicted that assistants in this field have one of the greatest job outlooks of any other kinds of professions as it is growing rapidly and will keep very steady due to the high demand for these kinds of professions. It seems very likely that records technicians jobs will grow faster than the average in the near future. Similarly, the high demand for the lab technicians will grow faster than its average during the same time. So obtaining a medical assisting degree or other certification can lead to a wonderful medical assistant career.
List of medical assisting schools and programs
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!