One career that is constantly in high demand and keeps on growing is that of a medial biller. The key to this profession is learning various codes for specific diagnoses and tests, and learning to use them to bill the patients’ insurance companies correctly. It is not difficult work, but can become tedious for some. It takes concentration and application as well as self discipline and a lot of computer time.
Medical billing training is geared towards enabling students to understand and comprehend the terminologies used in the sector and equipping them with the relevant skills needed to work in health care reimbursement. This page contains further information about the training and where you can obtain it. If you are interested in this area, you might also like to check the Medical Coding page.
What does medical billing training involve?
While the job used to be done by hand, it is now mostly done on computer and for most, done with more ease and speed because of modern technology. A working knowledge of medical terminology as well as learning different aspects of the various insurance communities is key to working in the field.
Some can learn this job by hands-on experience, especially if they have worked in the field. However, the proper education is important and becoming certified in the field can lead to a broader potential of employment and a larger pay scale. While earning an associate degree can lead to certification, other course outlines may as well. These can be followed on campus or online.
With online offerings, there are more schools to choose from. Community colleges that offer a degree in the field may be the least expensive educational path. It is also possible to get student loans and scholarships. The educational process in this field can take anywhere from nine months to two years, depending upon previous background, whether you seek a medical billing degree online or simply to take specific medical billing courses.
Good typing and computer skills are a must for this line of work. Other courses studied may include biology, anatomy and physiology as well as medical terminology and math. Good English skills are also important. In some areas, internships may be available.
What are the career possibilites after completing a medical billing program?
Those who work in this profession earn approximately $30,000 annually, but this can fluctuate depending upon the work environment as well as different parts of the country. Those who work in a hospital setting may earn more than those who work for private physicians. There are also government job possibilities, as well as clinics. It is mostly full-time work and a variety of benefits are usually offered with this career. This work can also be done independently from home, in some cases.
There is a medical billers association and various types of credentials and certifications. Probably the most highly recognized is that provided through the American Health Information Management Association and it would be worthwhile for anyone working in the field to become certified through the AHIMA. This will require passing a medical billing certification exam.
A medical billing program can lead to a consistent work outlet with a lot of potential for those who apply themselves and are good at it. And, if you decide later on that you want to study for another path in the medical field, it is a good foundation and background for most anywhere you want to go. It is also a field that you can always fall back on, and in some cases work part time as a medical billing coder, should the need arise.
List of schools and programs
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance