A medical informatics degree can lead to a career which is central to the changes in the health care industry. An individual who is interested in the fields of technology and medicine will find that a degree in medical informatics provides opportunities to play a vital role in the function and operation of health care and human services organizations. This field is relatively young, but the need for people who have this degree is growing rapidly as technology is incorporated into every area of medicine.
This page gives more information about these programs and lists schools where you can take them by online and distance learning. If you are interested in informatics in the health and medical field, you might also like to read the pages for associated areas such as Bioinformatics and Nursing Informatics.
What do medical informatics degree programs cover?
In order to participate in a degree in medical informatics program at the masters or PhD level, an individual must have completed a bachelors program that meets the core requirements for entry. Depending on the area you want to specialize in, coursework for this degree will include an introduction into the professional, organizational and access and retrieval of information as it relates to computer system design and operation.
Students in a masters in medical informatics may also be required to take health sciences information management courses that will provide instruction in the characteristics of health information services, organization and management of data collection, facilities, users and user services, and other professional activities of the health information specialist. Coursework may include biomedical communication, disaster management, community based health information, and medical digital imaging (DICOM and HL7).
Most colleges offering this program also require an internship in a facility that provides the hands-on training required to gain knowledge of the complexity of developing, implementing and maintaining cross communication systems.
This is a field that requires continual education and the ability to adapt to the evolving technological advances of both computer science and the health care industry.
What are the career prospects?
This field is growing due to the transition to electronic records by health care organizations and facilities. It is imperative that systems be in place which can be used by healthcare workers who must have access to patient records, demographics, and health sciences libraries.
Upon completion of a masters medical informatics program, an individual will have the ability to work in hospitals, medical research laboratories, health insurance companies, internet companies, and other health related areas. Specialties in the field include biomedical informatics, public health, organizational, social and clinical informatics. Any area where there is a need for an individual to develop systems that store, retrieve, share and use information that is critical to solving problems, making decisions and providing immediate information regarding patients provides opportunities for a person with this degree.
Most people who complete the program are provided with great opportunities due to the rapidly growing need of health and human services organizations. A medical informatics salary varies from $55,000 to over $100,000 annually depending on experience and the specialty that is focused on. An individual who has a broader knowledge of the needs of users in their specialty area will be able to command a greater salary than a person entering the field without a medical or health services background.
Many people who with a medical informatics qualification choose to provide consultation services to organizations and facilities who are setting up or improving their systems. This provides the opportunity for an individual to make more money than a person who is on salary with a single group.
List of schools and programs
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Health Information Management
- Medical Office Administration
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- And more...
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online MHA Concentration in Population Management
- Online MHA Concentration in Senior Services
- Online General MHA
- And more...
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
- MS Health Informatics
Logan is a non-profit university founded in 1935. Logan University has remained grounded in chiropractic education, while continuously enriching academic options with degree offerings in health sciences since 2012.
- Master of Science - Health Informatics
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Bachelor’s and Master’s level programs in digital investigations, information assurance and security, project management, and more.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- 8 out the top 20 employers of AIU graduates are Fortune 50 companies
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.