Because there are rapid changes taking place in the structure and financing of health care in the USA, managers must be prepared to confront a complicated regulatory system with an increasing focus on preventative care. Other changes include work restructuring, the implementation of technological systems, and health care delivery innovations. In a large institution, the chief administrator usually has several assistants to help him or her to make daily decisions. For these reasons, it is essential to provide medical management training for people wishing to take up these positions.
A medical management degree enables you to work in a supervisory capacity in the health care industry. This page has further details of programs, schools where they can be taken, and prospects after completion.
What are the education requirements for medical management jobs?
Effective managerial skills are needed to ensure that the highest quality services are offered to those in need. Managers supervise, plan, coordinate, and direct health care. A generalist managerial position involves the supervision of an entire system, while a specialist position manages a specific department or service.
To start a career as a health services manager, a bachelors degree or medical administration degree is required. This enables the graduate to qualify for employment in an entry-level position in a small healthcare institution. A generalist position requires a masters degree with a major in one of the following: health sciences, health services administration, business administration, long-term care administration, public health, or public administration.
Bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees in health administration are offered at universities, colleges, and schools of medicine. A masters degree will open the door to careers in mental health institutions, consulting companies, clinics, nursing care corporations, and large medical group practices. Residencies and staff position fellowships are offered by some health facilities.
Because a medical or health services manager is responsible for expensive facilities, equipment, and hundreds of employees, he or she must have essential attributes. These include the ability to make effective decisions, a good understanding of financial and information systems, as well as the ability to interpret data. Personal characteristics necessary for the job are leadership skills, the ability to motivate people, diplomacy, strong communications skills, tact, and flexibility. Education in all these skils and knowledge need to be included in a medical administration course or in medical management training.
What are the prospects after graduating with a degree in medical management?
A graduate of a medical manager program will be qualified to work in various areas of management including surgery, patient records, nursing, health information, and therapy. A graduate in medical practice management will work in tandem with doctors. In a small group, decisions are made by the doctors, while the business affairs are taken care of by the manager. A larger group may employ a full-time administrator to handle business issues and be involved in policy decisions.
A manager who works in a managed-care facility has similar responsibilities to his or her peers in group practices. The main difference is that he or she will oversee more employees and become involved in community outreach projects and preventative care. These areas do not usually concern a manager of a group practice. Managers can also be responsible for the supervision of other facilities, i.e. outpatient and inpatient services.
After obtaining a medical management qualification and gaining experience as a manager, there are prospects for advancement. Many go on to become associate or assistant administrators. These positions carry a lot more responsibility but they pay more. Due to the increasing growth in the health care industry, job opportunities for medical and health services managers will increase steadily up to the year 2012. The average annual salary ranges between $43,927 and $75,478.
List of schools and programs
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- Medical Office Assistant Diploma
- AAS Medical Administrative Assistant
- Health Services Diploma
- And more...
- Discover how you could play a part in the growing healthcare industry at Keiser U
- Cover healthcare leadership, marketing, public policy, healthcare finance & more
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Associate of Science in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Health Administration
- Doctor of Health Administration
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Master of Arts in Government - Healthcare Policy & Ethics
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management