Because there are rapid changes taking place in the structure and financing of health care in the USA, managers must be prepared to confront a complicated regulatory system with an increasing focus on preventative care. Other changes include work restructuring, the implementation of technological systems, and health care delivery innovations. In a large institution, the chief administrator usually has several assistants to help him or her to make daily decisions. For these reasons, it is essential to provide medical management training for people wishing to take up these positions.
A medical management degree enables you to work in a supervisory capacity in the health care industry. This page has further details of programs, schools where they can be taken, and prospects after completion.
What are the education requirements for medical management jobs?
Effective managerial skills are needed to ensure that the highest quality services are offered to those in need. Managers supervise, plan, coordinate, and direct health care. A generalist managerial position involves the supervision of an entire system, while a specialist position manages a specific department or service.
To start a career as a health services manager, a bachelors degree or medical administration degree is required. This enables the graduate to qualify for employment in an entry-level position in a small healthcare institution. A generalist position requires a masters degree with a major in one of the following: health sciences, health services administration, business administration, long-term care administration, public health, or public administration.
Bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees in health administration are offered at universities, colleges, and schools of medicine. A masters degree will open the door to careers in mental health institutions, consulting companies, clinics, nursing care corporations, and large medical group practices. Residencies and staff position fellowships are offered by some health facilities.
Because a medical or health services manager is responsible for expensive facilities, equipment, and hundreds of employees, he or she must have essential attributes. These include the ability to make effective decisions, a good understanding of financial and information systems, as well as the ability to interpret data. Personal characteristics necessary for the job are leadership skills, the ability to motivate people, diplomacy, strong communications skills, tact, and flexibility. Education in all these skils and knowledge need to be included in a medical administration course or in medical management training.
What are the prospects after graduating with a degree in medical management?
A graduate of a medical manager program will be qualified to work in various areas of management including surgery, patient records, nursing, health information, and therapy. A graduate in medical practice management will work in tandem with doctors. In a small group, decisions are made by the doctors, while the business affairs are taken care of by the manager. A larger group may employ a full-time administrator to handle business issues and be involved in policy decisions.
A manager who works in a managed-care facility has similar responsibilities to his or her peers in group practices. The main difference is that he or she will oversee more employees and become involved in community outreach projects and preventative care. These areas do not usually concern a manager of a group practice. Managers can also be responsible for the supervision of other facilities, i.e. outpatient and inpatient services.
After obtaining a medical management qualification and gaining experience as a manager, there are prospects for advancement. Many go on to become associate or assistant administrators. These positions carry a lot more responsibility but they pay more. Due to the increasing growth in the health care industry, job opportunities for medical and health services managers will increase steadily up to the year 2012. The average annual salary ranges between $43,927 and $75,478.
List of schools and programs
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Medical Office Administration
- Master of Health Care Administration
- BS in Health Care Administration
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Human Performance: Clinical
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition and Wellness
- And more...
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Healthcare Administration (MBA)
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (MSN)
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
With an enrollment approaching 33,500, UT Arlington is the second largest institution in the UT System and the sixth largest in Texas. Through research, teaching and community service, UT Arlington rigorously pursues solutions to today’s most complex problems.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) in Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
[email protected] enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years. Our nationally-ranked graduate programs provide flexible opportunities to students around the globe
- Master of Health Administration
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!