Because there are rapid changes taking place in the structure and financing of health care in the USA, managers must be prepared to confront a complicated regulatory system with an increasing focus on preventative care. Other changes include work restructuring, the implementation of technological systems, and health care delivery innovations. In a large institution, the chief administrator usually has several assistants to help him or her to make daily decisions. For these reasons, it is essential to provide medical management training for people wishing to take up these positions.
A medical management degree enables you to work in a supervisory capacity in the health care industry. This page has further details of programs, schools where they can be taken, and prospects after completion.
What are the education requirements for medical management jobs?
Effective managerial skills are needed to ensure that the highest quality services are offered to those in need. Managers supervise, plan, coordinate, and direct health care. A generalist managerial position involves the supervision of an entire system, while a specialist position manages a specific department or service.
To start a career as a health services manager, a bachelors degree or medical administration degree is required. This enables the graduate to qualify for employment in an entry-level position in a small healthcare institution. A generalist position requires a masters degree with a major in one of the following: health sciences, health services administration, business administration, long-term care administration, public health, or public administration.
Bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees in health administration are offered at universities, colleges, and schools of medicine. A masters degree will open the door to careers in mental health institutions, consulting companies, clinics, nursing care corporations, and large medical group practices. Residencies and staff position fellowships are offered by some health facilities.
Because a medical or health services manager is responsible for expensive facilities, equipment, and hundreds of employees, he or she must have essential attributes. These include the ability to make effective decisions, a good understanding of financial and information systems, as well as the ability to interpret data. Personal characteristics necessary for the job are leadership skills, the ability to motivate people, diplomacy, strong communications skills, tact, and flexibility. Education in all these skils and knowledge need to be included in a medical administration course or in medical management training.
What are the prospects after graduating with a degree in medical management?
A graduate of a medical manager program will be qualified to work in various areas of management including surgery, patient records, nursing, health information, and therapy. A graduate in medical practice management will work in tandem with doctors. In a small group, decisions are made by the doctors, while the business affairs are taken care of by the manager. A larger group may employ a full-time administrator to handle business issues and be involved in policy decisions.
A manager who works in a managed-care facility has similar responsibilities to his or her peers in group practices. The main difference is that he or she will oversee more employees and become involved in community outreach projects and preventative care. These areas do not usually concern a manager of a group practice. Managers can also be responsible for the supervision of other facilities, i.e. outpatient and inpatient services.
After obtaining a medical management qualification and gaining experience as a manager, there are prospects for advancement. Many go on to become associate or assistant administrators. These positions carry a lot more responsibility but they pay more. Due to the increasing growth in the health care industry, job opportunities for medical and health services managers will increase steadily up to the year 2012. The average annual salary ranges between $43,927 and $75,478.
List of schools and programs
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- Turn Your Love of Helping Others Into a Career in the Health Care Industry With a Degree From Grand Canyon University Online
- Online bachelor's and master's health care degree programs.
- Flexible & affordable online programs designed for the working adult.
- Build a foundational skill set rooted in leadership, critical thinking and problem solving.
- Program in health care admin, health science, public health and more.
- GCU's College of Nursing and Health Care Professions has a mission to promote health & wellness for all patients.
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Health Care Management
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor
- Health Information Management - Associate's
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Healthcare Administration: 42-hour
- Bachelor of Science: Healthcare Administration
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!