Because there are rapid changes taking place in the structure and financing of health care in the USA, managers must be prepared to confront a complicated regulatory system with an increasing focus on preventative care. Other changes include work restructuring, the implementation of technological systems, and health care delivery innovations. In a large institution, the chief administrator usually has several assistants to help him or her to make daily decisions. For these reasons, it is essential to provide medical management training for people wishing to take up these positions.
A medical management degree enables you to work in a supervisory capacity in the health care industry. This page has further details of programs, schools where they can be taken, and prospects after completion.
What are the education requirements for medical management jobs?
Effective managerial skills are needed to ensure that the highest quality services are offered to those in need. Managers supervise, plan, coordinate, and direct health care. A generalist managerial position involves the supervision of an entire system, while a specialist position manages a specific department or service.
To start a career as a health services manager, a bachelors degree or medical administration degree is required. This enables the graduate to qualify for employment in an entry-level position in a small healthcare institution. A generalist position requires a masters degree with a major in one of the following: health sciences, health services administration, business administration, long-term care administration, public health, or public administration.
Bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees in health administration are offered at universities, colleges, and schools of medicine. A masters degree will open the door to careers in mental health institutions, consulting companies, clinics, nursing care corporations, and large medical group practices. Residencies and staff position fellowships are offered by some health facilities.
Because a medical or health services manager is responsible for expensive facilities, equipment, and hundreds of employees, he or she must have essential attributes. These include the ability to make effective decisions, a good understanding of financial and information systems, as well as the ability to interpret data. Personal characteristics necessary for the job are leadership skills, the ability to motivate people, diplomacy, strong communications skills, tact, and flexibility. Education in all these skils and knowledge need to be included in a medical administration course or in medical management training.
What are the prospects after graduating with a degree in medical management?
A graduate of a medical manager program will be qualified to work in various areas of management including surgery, patient records, nursing, health information, and therapy. A graduate in medical practice management will work in tandem with doctors. In a small group, decisions are made by the doctors, while the business affairs are taken care of by the manager. A larger group may employ a full-time administrator to handle business issues and be involved in policy decisions.
A manager who works in a managed-care facility has similar responsibilities to his or her peers in group practices. The main difference is that he or she will oversee more employees and become involved in community outreach projects and preventative care. These areas do not usually concern a manager of a group practice. Managers can also be responsible for the supervision of other facilities, i.e. outpatient and inpatient services.
After obtaining a medical management qualification and gaining experience as a manager, there are prospects for advancement. Many go on to become associate or assistant administrators. These positions carry a lot more responsibility but they pay more. Due to the increasing growth in the health care industry, job opportunities for medical and health services managers will increase steadily up to the year 2012. The average annual salary ranges between $43,927 and $75,478.
List of schools and programs
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Office Administration
- BS in Health Information Management
- Master of Health Care Administration
- And more...
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online MHA Concentration in Population Management
- Online MHA Concentration in Senior Services
- Online General MHA
- And more...
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Healthcare Administration (MBA)
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (MSN)
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Medical Office Assisting
- Medical Records
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.