Because there are rapid changes taking place in the structure and financing of health care in the USA, managers must be prepared to confront a complicated regulatory system with an increasing focus on preventative care. Other changes include work restructuring, the implementation of technological systems, and health care delivery innovations. In a large institution, the chief administrator usually has several assistants to help him or her to make daily decisions. For these reasons, it is essential to provide medical management training for people wishing to take up these positions.
A medical management degree enables you to work in a supervisory capacity in the health care industry. This page has further details of programs, schools where they can be taken, and prospects after completion.
What are the education requirements for medical management jobs?
Effective managerial skills are needed to ensure that the highest quality services are offered to those in need. Managers supervise, plan, coordinate, and direct health care. A generalist managerial position involves the supervision of an entire system, while a specialist position manages a specific department or service.
To start a career as a health services manager, a bachelors degree or medical administration degree is required. This enables the graduate to qualify for employment in an entry-level position in a small healthcare institution. A generalist position requires a masters degree with a major in one of the following: health sciences, health services administration, business administration, long-term care administration, public health, or public administration.
Bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees in health administration are offered at universities, colleges, and schools of medicine. A masters degree will open the door to careers in mental health institutions, consulting companies, clinics, nursing care corporations, and large medical group practices. Residencies and staff position fellowships are offered by some health facilities.
Because a medical or health services manager is responsible for expensive facilities, equipment, and hundreds of employees, he or she must have essential attributes. These include the ability to make effective decisions, a good understanding of financial and information systems, as well as the ability to interpret data. Personal characteristics necessary for the job are leadership skills, the ability to motivate people, diplomacy, strong communications skills, tact, and flexibility. Education in all these skils and knowledge need to be included in a medical administration course or in medical management training.
What are the prospects after graduating with a degree in medical management?
A graduate of a medical manager program will be qualified to work in various areas of management including surgery, patient records, nursing, health information, and therapy. A graduate in medical practice management will work in tandem with doctors. In a small group, decisions are made by the doctors, while the business affairs are taken care of by the manager. A larger group may employ a full-time administrator to handle business issues and be involved in policy decisions.
A manager who works in a managed-care facility has similar responsibilities to his or her peers in group practices. The main difference is that he or she will oversee more employees and become involved in community outreach projects and preventative care. These areas do not usually concern a manager of a group practice. Managers can also be responsible for the supervision of other facilities, i.e. outpatient and inpatient services.
After obtaining a medical management qualification and gaining experience as a manager, there are prospects for advancement. Many go on to become associate or assistant administrators. These positions carry a lot more responsibility but they pay more. Due to the increasing growth in the health care industry, job opportunities for medical and health services managers will increase steadily up to the year 2012. The average annual salary ranges between $43,927 and $75,478.
List of schools and programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Electronic Health Records