Nurse practitioner degrees are designed to enable qualified nurses to take more responsible positions in primary health care. Very often these programs are at masters (MSN) level, and blend nursing theory with advanced practice concepts, so as to enable graduates to practice in any health care organization or educational setting.
This page has general advice on programs you can study, links to schools where they can be taken, details of future prospects, and more.
What do the programs include?
The role of nurse practitioners is very diverse, and they perform many medical functions including, but not limited to, diagnosis, evaluation, monitoring, therapeutics, counseling, and referral in a variety of settings. Graduates can be prepared to practice in a variety of primary health care settings and become a vital force in making quality healthcare available to all people. Programs vary according to the specialism selected, e.g., Midwifery, Adult Gerontology, or Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), but all should include the thinking, communication, professionalism and holism that supports the integration of nursing theory with professional nursing practice.
To receive national FNP certification and receive state licensure as an advanced practice nurse, you need to take an MSN program with an FNP curriculum. The focus of the FNP program is to provide the academic knowledge and clinical skills necessary for health promotion, disease prevention, assessment, and management of common acute and chronic illnesses. As an FNP, graduates of this program of study may be qualified to be the healthcare provider for families and individuals of all ages.
List of nurse practitioner schools and programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice in Executive Leadership
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!