Nurse practitioner degrees are designed to enable qualified nurses to take more responsible positions in primary health care. Very often these programs are at masters (MSN) level, and blend nursing theory with advanced practice concepts, so as to enable graduates to practice in any health care organization or educational setting.
This page has general advice on programs you can study, links to schools where they can be taken, details of future prospects, and more.
What do the programs include?
The role of nurse practitioners is very diverse, and they perform many medical functions including, but not limited to, diagnosis, evaluation, monitoring, therapeutics, counseling, and referral in a variety of settings. Graduates can be prepared to practice in a variety of primary health care settings and become a vital force in making quality healthcare available to all people. Programs vary according to the specialism selected, e.g., Midwifery, Adult Gerontology, or Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), but all should include the thinking, communication, professionalism and holism that supports the integration of nursing theory with professional nursing practice.
To receive national FNP certification and receive state licensure as an advanced practice nurse, you need to take an MSN program with an FNP curriculum. The focus of the FNP program is to provide the academic knowledge and clinical skills necessary for health promotion, disease prevention, assessment, and management of common acute and chronic illnesses. As an FNP, graduates of this program of study may be qualified to be the healthcare provider for families and individuals of all ages.
List of nurse practitioner schools and programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice in Executive Leadership
Founded more than 130 years ago by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne has grown to become one of the nation's top Catholic universities. The school’s mission is to provide a well-rounded education that challenges students academically while nourishing their spiritual and ethical development. Today, Duquesne is home to 10 schools of study and serves more than 10,000 students.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - 100% Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!