If you have nursing informatics certification, you can pursue a career that concentrates on seeking ways to improve communication and information management in nursing. The objective is to increase the quality of patient care while reducing costs. The work can be defined as a combination of computer science, information science, and nursing science.
A nursing informatics degree can prepare you for an exciting career at the forefront of change in nursing. And a masters nursing informatics program can put you in a leadership position so that you can lead the change in the health service. This page gives more information about the programs, the career prospects, lists schools where you can take these programs online, and more … You might also like to read the pages for associated areas such as: bioinformatics, health information technology, and medical informatics.
What is the role of nursing informatics?
Because health care providers mainly communicate with one another through comments on patient charts, a nursing informaticist continually strives to improve the accuracy, timeliness, and speed of patient charting. With better quality patient charts, the various health care professionals are able to make better choices concerning a patient’s care.
Therefore, the goal is to find ways to enhance and simplify documentation using the latest information and computer technologies. Nursing informatics enables patient records to be updated with handheld devices, voice recognition, computers, and other tools. This is far more efficient than having to handwrite notes on each patient’s chart. It also eliminates a lot of unnecessary work and facilitates easier analysis of data.
These systems must also be user-friendly in addition to being more effective. Nurses do not like using processes that are cumbersome or too complicated during the course of their duties. The reason is that it robs them of time that should be spent tending to the needs of their patients. An informaticist must also ensure that all new systems integrate easily with existing ones and that they do not disrupt the flow of the nursing process.
What do nursing informatics programs cover?
The focus is nursing informatics is to communicate and manage information, knowledge, and data to assist nurses and associated health providers in decision-making. This is accomplished through the use of information technology, information structures, and information processes. Documentation is vital in nursing informatics because the best quality patient care relies on good communication between health care providers.
A typical masters program might include: medical data; theory and applications of nursing informatics; legal and ethical issues of medical electronic data; communication skills; information system analysis and design; social and organizational issues; research skills. Students may also be required to complete a research project.
What are the career prospects?
Nurse informaticists can work in many environments. These include hospitals, clinics and other health care facilities, consulting firms, universities, or corporations that focus on the marketing and development of information systems for the health care industry. The title of a nursing informaticist will vary according to the environment in which he or she works. For example, they can be called a Clinical Analyst, a Clinical Informatics Coordinator, or an Informatics Nurse Specialist.
The roles they fill are equally varied, for example, they may be required to demonstrate new systems to staff at medical schools, hospitals, or clinics. Often, the informaticist will work closely with nurses to identify areas where changes or upgrades are needed. When these are established, new programs can be written to meet those needs. It is vital that an informaticist understands the nursing process so he or she can formulate appropriate systems. Most nursing informaticists actually start out their careers as registered nurses. Personal qualities required for this line of work are good management and people skills, creativity, and critical thinking.
In the USA, nursing informaticists are in high demand because most medical institutions are moving to computer-based records. This demand is expected to increase and therefore job opportunities are good.
What can one expect as a nursing informatics salary? With this increasing demand in nursing informatics jobs, people holding a degree in nursing informatics, especially those with a Masters degree, can expect to earn more than $75,000 a year.
List of schools and programs
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Computer Science: Cyber-Security
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- BS: Computer Science
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!