From the teacher’s and the student’s point of view, the development of OER sounds all good. But there are challenges, and some people only see the down side to OER. This page looks at the OER challenges and how they can be tackled.
Access to the Internet is spreading and so more people are able to access online education. But a major problem has been the access to affordable content. The OER movement seeks to address this issue by making content free to use and adapt by anyone. So what are the problems?
The challenges that OER face include:
- Establishing and maintaining quality;
- Ensuring modularity of the resources;
- Ensuring stability of the resources;
- Standardization, so as to ensure transferability;
- Persuading subject matter experts to release their intellectual property for open use.
Responding to the OER challenges of copyright
In response to this last major challenge, Creative Commons, a non-profit organization, was founded to assist authors who may not want to exercise all of the intellectual property rights the law affords them. Creative Commons works to define an alternative to copyrights by filling in the gap between full copyright, where use of resources is not allowed without explicit permission, and public domain, where permission is not required at all. Creative Commons Licenses allow users to copy and distribute their work under specific conditions, general descriptions, and legal clauses.
To this end, Creative Commons has developed a set of free public licenses to enable authors to share their work with others. Authors have the flexibility to specify that the use of their resources would require attribution, that it be non-commercial, or that the product be shared under the same license. Thus, while ‘open’ on the one hand can mean ‘without cost’, it does not necessarily translate to ‘without conditions’. The following is an example of the logo and text that would appear on a work using a Creative Commons license:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
More OER Websites
Click on the other resource links on this site:
List of schools and programs
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
Penn Foster's accredited high school diploma — your way
Earning a High School Diploma is one of life’s greatest accomplishments. Having a diploma can put you on a path to so many opportunities…college, promotions, pay raises, new careers, or even just the sense of pride and confidence that comes with such an achievement.
Many who are looking to earn their High School Diploma often can’t, or would prefer not to attend traditional, regularly scheduled high school classes. For those looking to earn their High School Diploma on their schedule, Penn Foster High School offers the perfect solution. With our flexible online format, students can get the education to help them prepare for the life they want.
- High School Diploma
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics
- And more...
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - International Business
- Master of Arts in Homeland Security
- And more...
Aviation Institute of Maintenance schools are distinguished institutes committed to the education and personal enrichment of each student interested in the Aviation Industry. Students can succeed in our collegiate environment when properly motivated and taught to set goals in furthering their education. All aspects of our mechanic school are enriched with creating an atmosphere conducive to learning, while instilling a high degree of business ethics and professionalism.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Maintenance Technology
- Aviation Maintenance Technical Engineer
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind. Hofstra University is committed to academic freedom and to the transmission, advancement and preservation of knowledge for its own academic community and the community at large.
- Online Master of Arts in Health Law and Policy
- Online Master of Laws in Health Law and Policy
- Class A CDL Driving Programs
The University of Denver’s Graduate School of Social Work (GSSW) prepares students to fight for social change through its traditional Master of Social Work (MSW) program delivered online. The 90-credit program can be completed in as few as 27 months and is designed for students who earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than social work from a regionally accredited college or university. Traditional MSW students complete both the foundation curriculum and concentration curriculum in Mental Health and Trauma.
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- Bachelors - Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Trauma and Resilience in Educational Settings
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom
- And more...