It would be useful to have a list OER websites, i.e., web sites that include OER or link to them. Such a list would be even more useful if it could provide the urls of the websites together with brief descriptions about them.
Accompanying the massive growth in online and distance learning, there has been an exponential growth in interest in OER, and more and more organizations and associations are making content available. One problem with this massive growth in material is that there are no centrally agreed standards. So you never know what you’re going to get when you do an Internet search. Perhaps because of this, some sites provide lists of websites that have passed their quality criteria as regards the OER they provide.
Any list of web sites is bound to be out of date as soon as it is published. However, for people just starting to explore OER, here is one list of important websites, adapted from a published list courtesy of the author and publisher …
List of OER Web Sites
Kinuthia, W. 2009, “Open Resources for Open Learning in Developing Countries: Deciphering Trends for Policies, Quality, and Standards Considerations”. In S. Marshall, W. Kinuthia and W. Taylor (Eds) Bridging the knowledge divide: Educational technology for development, Information Age, Charlotte, NC, USA.
|Open Educational Resource||Resource Description and Features|
|Collaborative environment for developing, sharing, and publishing scholarly content on the Web.|
|Commonwealth of Learning (COL)||Wiki-based portal for development of free educational content.|
|Scalable general-purpose digital object repository system that supports repositories, digital libraries, content management, digital asset management, scholarly publishing, and digital preservation.|
|Harvard Open Collections Program (OCP)||Provides online access to Harvard’s libraries, archives, and museums.|
|The Open University “LearningSpace“||The LearningSpace provides free access to Open University course materials to learners anywhere in the world. Excellent for teachers as it provides dowloadable, fully adaptable, courses/modules in many formats. Particularly useful if you’re using Moodle because you can simply download it, and open it in your system.|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) OpenCourseWare (OCW)||Large-scale e-publishing initiative that provides free, searchable access to MIT’s course materials for educators, students, and self-learners globally.|
|Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching
|Searchable collection of peer-reviewed learning materials created by registered members, and a set of faculty development support services.|
|National Science Digital Library (NSDL)
|Created by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) to provide organized access to high quality resources and tools that support innovations in teaching and learning.|
|Open Archives Initiative (OAI)
|Develops and promotes interoperability standards that aim to facilitate the efficient dissemination of content.|
|OER Commons||OER Commons for educators and learners worldwide.|
|A Wiki-based collaborative project aiming to build a collectively created online encyclopedia.|
|Media repository for freely licensed photographs, diagrams, animations, music, spoken text, video clips, created and maintained by volunteers.|
More OER Websites
Click on the other resource links on this site:
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Business Administration
- MS in Accounting - Audit Specialization
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Forensic Science
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Human Services
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- And more...
Aviation Institute of Maintenance schools are distinguished institutes committed to the education and personal enrichment of each student interested in the Aviation Industry. Students can succeed in our collegiate environment when properly motivated and taught to set goals in furthering their education. All aspects of our mechanic school are enriched with creating an atmosphere conducive to learning, while instilling a high degree of business ethics and professionalism.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Aviation Maintenance Technical Engineer
- Payroll Clerk
- Private Investigation
- High School
- And more...
Named a “Best College” by U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and Forbes, Simmons University has earned a reputation for providing a pioneering liberal arts education for undergraduates integrated with professional work experience. Today, Simmons offers renowned coeducational graduate programs in business, communications management, nursing and health sciences, education, liberal arts, social work, and library and information science.
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
You can receive a top-notch education in a flexible environment. Learn more about the Villanova online learning experience and the difference that sets us apart by further exploring our online programs.
Rankings- Villanova University is consistently ranked among the best in the nation
- The Villanova School of Business (VSB) was recognized among the top schools in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Online Graduate Business Programs ranking, earning the #1 rank.
- Villanova University was recognized among the top schools in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Online MBA Programs.
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law is approved by the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 988-6738. 21 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 988-6738.
- Online Master of Laws in Taxation
- Online Master of Science in Analytics
- Online Master of Business Administration
- And more...
As a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health services that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health services landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
- Online Master of Public Health
- And more...