Online nursing continuing education is a useful way for nurses to stay up-to-date in their profession. In fact nursing continuing education units (or nursing CEUs) are essential in some US states. With the rapid changes and increase in knowledge, continuing education (CE) is necessary for every profession. Taking nursing continuing education online is a useful way for nurses to stay up-to-date in their profession whilst continuing with their employment. It is also useful as a means of professional advancement and personal development.
The requirements for CEUs in the US
Some states in the US require the completion of nursing continuing education units (CEUs) for license renewal. For example, all RNs in the State of California are required to complete 30 hours of continuing education for license renewal. LVNs must complete 30 contact hours of continuing education every two years in order to renew their license.
The amount of CEUs a course is worth is determined by the approving board (licensing board). So if you want your nursing continuing education course specifically for license renewal, check your state requirements before enrolling in an online class. This page contains more information about nursing CE courses and where they can be taken.
What online nursing continuing education programs are available?
Nursing continuing education programs are available online at several levels, from open certificates to post-masters certificates. Here are details of a few, and more can be found at the foot of the page.
- HealthCampus.com offers the following nursing continuing education online courses/programs:
- Cardiac care
- Clinical care
- Critical care
- Emergency room
- Fire safety
- Human physiology
- Medical surgical
- Neonatal care
- Pain management
- Patient history / evaluation
- Risk management and regulations
- Stages of shock
- Nursing Informatics Learning Center offers CE courses in:
- Nursing Practice
- Nursing Informatics Fundamentals
- Human Factors in Nursing Informatics
- Nursing Education
- Virtual Education in Nursing: Basic
- Nursing Informatics in the Classroom
- Virtual Education in Nursing: Intermediate
- Nursing Leadership
- Web Presence for Nursing Businesses
- Nursing Research
- Qualitative Research and Technology
- Quantitative Research and Technology
- Nursing Practice
List of schools and programs
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition and Wellness
- And more...
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Patient Care Technician
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- And more...
- Put Your Finger on The Pulse. Find The Program That Beats For You!
- Get Matched to Medical Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!
- With Flexible Online and On Campus Options, We Have A Program That’s Perfect for You