Online nursing continuing education is a useful way for nurses to stay up-to-date in their profession. In fact nursing continuing education units (or nursing CEUs) are essential in some US states. With the rapid changes and increase in knowledge, continuing education (CE) is necessary for every profession. Taking nursing continuing education online is a useful way for nurses to stay up-to-date in their profession whilst continuing with their employment. It is also useful as a means of professional advancement and personal development.
The requirements for CEUs in the US
Some states in the US require the completion of nursing continuing education units (CEUs) for license renewal. For example, all RNs in the State of California are required to complete 30 hours of continuing education for license renewal. LVNs must complete 30 contact hours of continuing education every two years in order to renew their license.
The amount of CEUs a course is worth is determined by the approving board (licensing board). So if you want your nursing continuing education course specifically for license renewal, check your state requirements before enrolling in an online class. This page contains more information about nursing CE courses and where they can be taken.
What online nursing continuing education programs are available?
Nursing continuing education programs are available online at several levels, from open certificates to post-masters certificates. Here are details of a few, and more can be found at the foot of the page.
- HealthCampus.com offers the following nursing continuing education online courses/programs:
- Cardiac care
- Clinical care
- Critical care
- Emergency room
- Fire safety
- Human physiology
- Medical surgical
- Neonatal care
- Pain management
- Patient history / evaluation
- Risk management and regulations
- Stages of shock
- Nursing Informatics Learning Center offers CE courses in:
- Nursing Practice
- Nursing Informatics Fundamentals
- Human Factors in Nursing Informatics
- Nursing Education
- Virtual Education in Nursing: Basic
- Nursing Informatics in the Classroom
- Virtual Education in Nursing: Intermediate
- Nursing Leadership
- Web Presence for Nursing Businesses
- Nursing Research
- Qualitative Research and Technology
- Quantitative Research and Technology
- Nursing Practice
List of schools and programs
- Prepare for a Health Care Career with an Online Degree from Keiser University. Get Started Today!
- Keiser University has a variety of degree programs in the health care field including Medical Assisting, Medical Billing and Coding, Health Science and more!
- From Medical Assisting to Health Science to Health Services Administration, Keiser can help you get started in the health care industry.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- We offer you the support and flexibility you need to fit education into your busy life with our one class at a time schedule
- Healthcare - Online - Associate Degree
- Healthcare - Online - Bachelor Degree
- Healthcare - Online - Master Degree
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!