Online nursing continuing education is a useful way for nurses to stay up-to-date in their profession. In fact nursing continuing education units (or nursing CEUs) are essential in some US states. With the rapid changes and increase in knowledge, continuing education (CE) is necessary for every profession. Taking nursing continuing education online is a useful way for nurses to stay up-to-date in their profession whilst continuing with their employment. It is also useful as a means of professional advancement and personal development.
The requirements for CEUs in the US
Some states in the US require the completion of nursing continuing education units (CEUs) for license renewal. For example, all RNs in the State of California are required to complete 30 hours of continuing education for license renewal. LVNs must complete 30 contact hours of continuing education every two years in order to renew their license.
The amount of CEUs a course is worth is determined by the approving board (licensing board). So if you want your nursing continuing education course specifically for license renewal, check your state requirements before enrolling in an online class. This page contains more information about nursing CE courses and where they can be taken.
What online nursing continuing education programs are available?
Nursing continuing education programs are available online at several levels, from open certificates to post-masters certificates. Here are details of a few, and more can be found at the foot of the page.
- HealthCampus.com offers the following nursing continuing education online courses/programs:
- Cardiac care
- Clinical care
- Critical care
- Emergency room
- Fire safety
- Human physiology
- Medical surgical
- Neonatal care
- Pain management
- Patient history / evaluation
- Risk management and regulations
- Stages of shock
- Nursing Informatics Learning Center offers CE courses in:
- Nursing Practice
- Nursing Informatics Fundamentals
- Human Factors in Nursing Informatics
- Nursing Education
- Virtual Education in Nursing: Basic
- Nursing Informatics in the Classroom
- Virtual Education in Nursing: Intermediate
- Nursing Leadership
- Web Presence for Nursing Businesses
- Nursing Research
- Qualitative Research and Technology
- Quantitative Research and Technology
- Nursing Practice
List of schools and programs
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management