Nurses are the human face of so much health care – providing direct patient care. They are the first point of contact as regards administration of treatment and conduct of diagnostic tests, and as such, they are incredibly important in the health care profession.
There are various types of career within nursing depending on your interests, each with its own specific training program, such as home aide, patient care technician, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse and others can be found by clicking the links in the navigation bar, or by using the search boxes. This page has general advice on programs you can study for a career in nursing, links to schools where they can be taken, details of future prospects, and more …
What is studied in online programs for nursing?
Obviously it depends at which level you take it, but nursing education usually includes courses in anatomy, physiology, biological sciences, microbiology, chemistry, nutrition, psychology, sociology, nursing, pharmacology, statistics, environmental and occupational health, and the liberal arts.
But you can’t learn everything about being a nurse online. Some programs also include supervised clinical experience in hospitals and other healthcare facilities.
Nurses most commonly enter the occupation by completing an Associate or Bachelor’s degree program. Individuals must then complete a national licensing examination (NCLEX-RN) in order to obtain a nursing license. Licensed graduates of these programs then qualify for entry-level nursing positions.
Further training or online programs nursing can qualify you to work in specialty areas, and help advance your career. Many existing licensed registered nurses (RNs) with an Associate degree or diploma take programs at Bachelor’s level, to enable them to assume positions of responsibility in a variety of health care settings. These can be administrative positions in nursing, but could also be other positions in home health, nursing education, or health care management. See the “Pathways to Nursing” infographic below for further details.
What are the career prospects in nursing?
Nursing professionals are always in demand all over the world. Graduates of online nursing programs are found in several major settings, including:
- Hospitals – providing bedside nursing care and administering medical care plans;
- Clinics/Centers/Healthcare Offices – caring for outpatients in doctors’ offices, clinics, and emergency medical centers;
- Nursing Homes – caring for residents;
- Schools – providing education programs, health services and ensuring a healthy environment for staff and students;
- Home Care/Hospice – providing nursing services to patients at home;
- Public Health Prevention/Education Programs – providing education and training;
- And there are many other opportunities for nurses.
In many of these settings they assist with examinations; administer injections and medications; dress wounds and in many other ways, administer medical care plans.
Technological advances in patient care are driving growth in the profession. In particular, rapid growth is expected in nurses for hospital outpatient facilities due to the growing trend in discharging patients earlier and performing more procedures as outpatients. Hospital jobs for nurses will not grow as rapidly, but none the less, will grow. The aging population of the country will also lead to the need for more nurses over the next seven years. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that employment of registered nurses up to 2016 is expected to grow over 20%.
After taking an online nursing degree, what can you expect to earn? Salaries depend on the role, qualifications and experience. The median expected salary for a typical Staff Nurse RN is over $61,000 (from Salary.com).
List of nursing schools and programs
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- And more...
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Nursing Field
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future
- Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!