Nurses are the human face of so much health care – providing direct patient care. They are the first point of contact as regards administration of treatment and conduct of diagnostic tests, and as such, they are incredibly important in the health care profession.
There are various types of career within nursing depending on your interests, each with its own specific training program, such as home aide, patient care technician, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse and others can be found by clicking the links in the navigation bar, or by using the search boxes. This page has general advice on programs you can study for a career in nursing, links to schools where they can be taken, details of future prospects, and more …
What is studied in online programs for nursing?
Obviously it depends at which level you take it, but nursing education usually includes courses in anatomy, physiology, biological sciences, microbiology, chemistry, nutrition, psychology, sociology, nursing, pharmacology, statistics, environmental and occupational health, and the liberal arts.
But you can’t learn everything about being a nurse online. Some programs also include supervised clinical experience in hospitals and other healthcare facilities.
Nurses most commonly enter the occupation by completing an Associate or Bachelor’s degree program. Individuals must then complete a national licensing examination (NCLEX-RN) in order to obtain a nursing license. Licensed graduates of these programs then qualify for entry-level nursing positions.
Further training or online programs nursing can qualify you to work in specialty areas, and help advance your career. Many existing licensed registered nurses (RNs) with an Associate degree or diploma take programs at Bachelor’s level, to enable them to assume positions of responsibility in a variety of health care settings. These can be administrative positions in nursing, but could also be other positions in home health, nursing education, or health care management. See the “Pathways to Nursing” infographic below for further details.
What are the career prospects in nursing?
Nursing professionals are always in demand all over the world. Graduates of online nursing programs are found in several major settings, including:
- Hospitals – providing bedside nursing care and administering medical care plans;
- Clinics/Centers/Healthcare Offices – caring for outpatients in doctors’ offices, clinics, and emergency medical centers;
- Nursing Homes – caring for residents;
- Schools – providing education programs, health services and ensuring a healthy environment for staff and students;
- Home Care/Hospice – providing nursing services to patients at home;
- Public Health Prevention/Education Programs – providing education and training;
- And there are many other opportunities for nurses.
In many of these settings they assist with examinations; administer injections and medications; dress wounds and in many other ways, administer medical care plans.
Technological advances in patient care are driving growth in the profession. In particular, rapid growth is expected in nurses for hospital outpatient facilities due to the growing trend in discharging patients earlier and performing more procedures as outpatients. Hospital jobs for nurses will not grow as rapidly, but none the less, will grow. The aging population of the country will also lead to the need for more nurses over the next seven years. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that employment of registered nurses up to 2016 is expected to grow over 20%.
After taking an online nursing degree, what can you expect to earn? Salaries depend on the role, qualifications and experience. The median expected salary for a typical Staff Nurse RN is over $61,000 (from Salary.com).
List of nursing schools and programs
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- And more...
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
- RNs, join one of GCU's CCNE-accredited bachelor's, master's or doctoral nursing programs.
- Offering a full spectrum of nursing programs to fit your education needs and career aspirations.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- A holistic, physical, emotional and spiritual approach to patient care is taught in the classroom.
- Curriculum that connects classroom theories to working scenarios through many modalities.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (BS)
[email protected], the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.