Why does a nurse who is already registered as an RN need to take a Bachelor’s degree, and do special upgrade programs exist online? People often enter the Nursing profession by completing an Associate degree program and then passing a national licensing examination in order to obtain a nursing license to become a Registered Nurse (RN). Being a Registered Nurse (RN) is very important, but advancement opportunities are usually better for graduates of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or even a Master’s degree (MSN). A Bachelor’s degree is usually necessary for administrative positions and is a prerequisite for admission to graduate nursing programs in research, teaching, or a clinical specialization. So many RNs with an Associate degree wish to take Bachelor’s programs to prepare for these opportunities.
There are many degree programs specifically for Registered Nurses who have Associate degrees and now wish to complete their BSN degrees. These programs are called “RN to BSN” programs. This page is about online RN to BSN programs, what’s included in them, and where they can be studied?
What is studied in an online RN to BSN program?
The objective of an RN-to-BSN program is to develop the professional knowledge and skills of working registered nurses, and for them to apply these to nursing, client, and health care systems. Nurses also learn to integrate methods of research and scholarship in their work.
The curriculum of a program typically comprises a foundation of biological, physical, and social sciences, together with more specialized courses in health promotion, risk reduction, disease prevention, information technology, ethics, human diversity, management theory, and health care system and policies. Students in these programs are sometimes required to complete practicums.
Career prospects for BSN graduates
Technological advances in patient care and the aging population of the country will drive growth in the health care sector. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that employment of registered nurses is expected to grow significantly from 2012 to 2022. This is a good time to choose nursing as a career.
BSN graduates are encouraged to consider a Master’s program as their next step. Some schools/colleges offer online RN to MSN programs – a quicker way to get your Master’s degree in Nursing.
List of schools and programs
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- And more...
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (MSN)
- Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner Specialization (RN-MSN)
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (RN-MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate (MSN to FNP)
[email protected], the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.