The social sciences explore human aspects of the world. Because the research methods used the social sciences are often qualitative and based more on personal interpretation, they are sometimes referred to as the “soft sciences” in contrast to the “hard” natural and formal sciences. The social sciences include anthropology, communication studies, economics, education, geography, history, law, linguistics, political science, psychology and sociology. In some faculties of social science, the more applied fields of study such as business studies, development studies, information science, international relations, journalism, knowledge management, public administration, public policy and tourism studies are included.
There is often dispute about whether or not some of the subjects belong in the sciences, social sciences or the humanities. Their placement in one or another section of this website, does not imply any particular philosophical position on this issue. From this page you can find out more about some of the social sciences and find links to schools offering online social sciences programs.
Anthropology focuses on understanding cultural and behavioral diversity. Social sciences programs in anthropology cover the influences of geography, immigration, forensics, organizations, ecology, politics, economy, religions, evolution, and many other subjects affecting modern day cultures.
Most business degrees include: communication, interpersonal, negotiation and leadership skills, fundamentals of business, economics, accounting, finance, marketing and human resources management. It is the most popular choice of the social sciences by students and so it is listed separately in the navigation bar.
A communications degree will prepare you for many career opportunities in several sectors of communication. It may include negotiations training, dispute and conflict resolution, and multicultural diversity.
Degrees in economics are designed to help students develop business skills in areas such as finance, accounting, and marketing by examining domestic and the international marketplaces. The field focuses primarily on labor, land, raw materials, and machinery.
Education programs combine content and subject knowledge with teaching knowledge and skills (pedagogy), i.e., they teach you what to teach and how to teach it. Because it is such a popular field of study, it has a separate link in the navigation bar.
A geography degree involves the study of human beings and the way in which they interact with their environment through physical and cultural relationships. It leads to many career paths, including cartography, GIS, geological survey, climatologist, soil conservationist and wildlife preservation.
A history degree examines historical eras and periods based on geography and chronology. As a history student you will be equipped with various skills that include research, analysis, and presentation skills. You will also have a good foundation for understanding the economic, social, economic, and business elements of society.
International relations is the part of political science that focuses on the economic, political, and social relationships between countries, especially the interplay between different governments, economic systems, labor relations, and multinational corporations. Careers can lead to conflict resolution and diplomacy.
Journalism is defined as the timely reporting of events at various levels, i.e. local, national, and international. Reporting is based on collecting objective information through interviewing, research and observations, resulting in fair and balanced stories for publication on the Internet, television, or radio.
A knowledge management program helps graduates understand how to analyze the information and disseminate it to the proper channel in order to effect change. With technology being a key element of knowledge management, one can expect to cover topics in database and media management.
Political science is the study of world political systems, local and global politics, political theory, human rights, international relations, and related subjects. Political scientists use various tools to analyze the structure and operations of political entities and governments.
In a pschology program you learn about physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of human behavior. You are introduced to a variety of research methods and learn how to administer personality, performance, aptitude, or intelligence tests. Because it is so popular, it is listed separately in the navigation bar.
There are many different paths with an online public administration masters degree, both in the public and private sector. Public administrators manage many aspect of public service at the federal, state and local levels. You can focus on a career in organizational governance, finance, and administration. You can also work in health care and animal welfare, education, non-profit organizations, and international relief agencies.
Public policy is the basic policy or set of policies which form the foundation of public laws. The field involves the study of policy problems and government responses to these issues. A degree in public policy is designed to develop your analytical skills, understand of macroeconomic and micro-economic theory, and sociocultural issues that influence policy making.
Sociology is a science that tries to understand social action and to explain its cause and effect. The study of sociology enables us to understand the structure and dynamics of society including class, religion, sex, age, or race and other social classifications.
Travel and Tourism
Travel and tourism are fairly recent additions to the online social sciences. There are many areas of study in an online tourism degree program that you can specialize in, including: For example hospitality management, aromatherapy and spa, tourism, and travel. Courses in a program might include business management, information technology, finance, accounting, and interpersonal communications.
List of schools and programs
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Social Science
- BA in Psychology
- BA in Liberal Arts
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Conflict Resolution (Master of Arts) - Online
- Science and Technology Multidisciplinary Studies (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Liberal Studies (Bachelor of Arts) - Online
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology / Human Development, Education, and Health
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Associate of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA)
- Psychology (AA)
- Liberal Arts (BA)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Psychology (BA)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology