The social sciences explore human aspects of the world. Because the research methods used the social sciences are often qualitative and based more on personal interpretation, they are sometimes referred to as the “soft sciences” in contrast to the “hard” natural and formal sciences. The social sciences include anthropology, communication studies, economics, education, geography, history, law, linguistics, political science, psychology and sociology. In some faculties of social science, the more applied fields of study such as business studies, development studies, information science, international relations, journalism, knowledge management, public administration, public policy and tourism studies are included.
There is often dispute about whether or not some of the subjects belong in the sciences, social sciences or the humanities. Their placement in one or another section of this website, does not imply any particular philosophical position on this issue. From this page you can find out more about some of the social sciences and find links to schools offering online social sciences programs.
Anthropology focuses on understanding cultural and behavioral diversity. Social sciences programs in anthropology cover the influences of geography, immigration, forensics, organizations, ecology, politics, economy, religions, evolution, and many other subjects affecting modern day cultures.
Most business degrees include: communication, interpersonal, negotiation and leadership skills, fundamentals of business, economics, accounting, finance, marketing and human resources management. It is the most popular choice of the social sciences by students and so it is listed separately in the navigation bar.
A communications degree will prepare you for many career opportunities in several sectors of communication. It may include negotiations training, dispute and conflict resolution, and multicultural diversity.
Degrees in economics are designed to help students develop business skills in areas such as finance, accounting, and marketing by examining domestic and the international marketplaces. The field focuses primarily on labor, land, raw materials, and machinery.
Education programs combine content and subject knowledge with teaching knowledge and skills (pedagogy), i.e., they teach you what to teach and how to teach it. Because it is such a popular field of study, it has a separate link in the navigation bar.
A geography degree involves the study of human beings and the way in which they interact with their environment through physical and cultural relationships. It leads to many career paths, including cartography, GIS, geological survey, climatologist, soil conservationist and wildlife preservation.
A history degree examines historical eras and periods based on geography and chronology. As a history student you will be equipped with various skills that include research, analysis, and presentation skills. You will also have a good foundation for understanding the economic, social, economic, and business elements of society.
International relations is the part of political science that focuses on the economic, political, and social relationships between countries, especially the interplay between different governments, economic systems, labor relations, and multinational corporations. Careers can lead to conflict resolution and diplomacy.
Journalism is defined as the timely reporting of events at various levels, i.e. local, national, and international. Reporting is based on collecting objective information through interviewing, research and observations, resulting in fair and balanced stories for publication on the Internet, television, or radio.
A knowledge management program helps graduates understand how to analyze the information and disseminate it to the proper channel in order to effect change. With technology being a key element of knowledge management, one can expect to cover topics in database and media management.
Political science is the study of world political systems, local and global politics, political theory, human rights, international relations, and related subjects. Political scientists use various tools to analyze the structure and operations of political entities and governments.
In a pschology program you learn about physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of human behavior. You are introduced to a variety of research methods and learn how to administer personality, performance, aptitude, or intelligence tests. Because it is so popular, it is listed separately in the navigation bar.
There are many different paths with an online public administration masters degree, both in the public and private sector. Public administrators manage many aspect of public service at the federal, state and local levels. You can focus on a career in organizational governance, finance, and administration. You can also work in health care and animal welfare, education, non-profit organizations, and international relief agencies.
Public policy is the basic policy or set of policies which form the foundation of public laws. The field involves the study of policy problems and government responses to these issues. A degree in public policy is designed to develop your analytical skills, understand of macroeconomic and micro-economic theory, and sociocultural issues that influence policy making.
Sociology is a science that tries to understand social action and to explain its cause and effect. The study of sociology enables us to understand the structure and dynamics of society including class, religion, sex, age, or race and other social classifications.
Travel and Tourism
Travel and tourism are fairly recent additions to the online social sciences. There are many areas of study in an online tourism degree program that you can specialize in, including: For example hospitality management, aromatherapy and spa, tourism, and travel. Courses in a program might include business management, information technology, finance, accounting, and interpersonal communications.
List of schools and programs
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- And more...
- Experience a new way of learning through the innovative online experience at Ashford University
- Earn the Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree that fits your professional goals
- Transfer up to 90 approved credits toward your degree
- Accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
- BA/Social Science - No Concentration
- MA Psychology
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.A. in Psychology
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Human Factors
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA: Interdisciplinary Studies
- BS in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Criminal Psychology
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- BS - Interdisciplinary Professional Studies
- Enhance Your Professional Value with a Liberal Arts Degree!
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Liberal Arts & Sciences, Communication & Public Relations, English, History, Women's Studies Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Liberal Arts Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!