The social sciences explore human aspects of the world. Because the research methods used the social sciences are often qualitative and based more on personal interpretation, they are sometimes referred to as the “soft sciences” in contrast to the “hard” natural and formal sciences. The social sciences include anthropology, communication studies, economics, education, geography, history, law, linguistics, political science, psychology and sociology. In some faculties of social science, the more applied fields of study such as business studies, development studies, information science, international relations, journalism, knowledge management, public administration, public policy and tourism studies are included.
There is often dispute about whether or not some of the subjects belong in the sciences, social sciences or the humanities. Their placement in one or another section of this website, does not imply any particular philosophical position on this issue. From this page you can find out more about some of the social sciences and find links to schools offering online social sciences programs.
Anthropology focuses on understanding cultural and behavioral diversity. Social sciences programs in anthropology cover the influences of geography, immigration, forensics, organizations, ecology, politics, economy, religions, evolution, and many other subjects affecting modern day cultures.
Most business degrees include: communication, interpersonal, negotiation and leadership skills, fundamentals of business, economics, accounting, finance, marketing and human resources management. It is the most popular choice of the social sciences by students and so it is listed separately in the navigation bar.
A communications degree will prepare you for many career opportunities in several sectors of communication. It may include negotiations training, dispute and conflict resolution, and multicultural diversity.
Degrees in economics are designed to help students develop business skills in areas such as finance, accounting, and marketing by examining domestic and the international marketplaces. The field focuses primarily on labor, land, raw materials, and machinery.
Education programs combine content and subject knowledge with teaching knowledge and skills (pedagogy), i.e., they teach you what to teach and how to teach it. Because it is such a popular field of study, it has a separate link in the navigation bar.
A geography degree involves the study of human beings and the way in which they interact with their environment through physical and cultural relationships. It leads to many career paths, including cartography, GIS, geological survey, climatologist, soil conservationist and wildlife preservation.
A history degree examines historical eras and periods based on geography and chronology. As a history student you will be equipped with various skills that include research, analysis, and presentation skills. You will also have a good foundation for understanding the economic, social, economic, and business elements of society.
International relations is the part of political science that focuses on the economic, political, and social relationships between countries, especially the interplay between different governments, economic systems, labor relations, and multinational corporations. Careers can lead to conflict resolution and diplomacy.
Journalism is defined as the timely reporting of events at various levels, i.e. local, national, and international. Reporting is based on collecting objective information through interviewing, research and observations, resulting in fair and balanced stories for publication on the Internet, television, or radio.
A knowledge management program helps graduates understand how to analyze the information and disseminate it to the proper channel in order to effect change. With technology being a key element of knowledge management, one can expect to cover topics in database and media management.
Political science is the study of world political systems, local and global politics, political theory, human rights, international relations, and related subjects. Political scientists use various tools to analyze the structure and operations of political entities and governments.
In a pschology program you learn about physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of human behavior. You are introduced to a variety of research methods and learn how to administer personality, performance, aptitude, or intelligence tests. Because it is so popular, it is listed separately in the navigation bar.
There are many different paths with an online public administration masters degree, both in the public and private sector. Public administrators manage many aspect of public service at the federal, state and local levels. You can focus on a career in organizational governance, finance, and administration. You can also work in health care and animal welfare, education, non-profit organizations, and international relief agencies.
Public policy is the basic policy or set of policies which form the foundation of public laws. The field involves the study of policy problems and government responses to these issues. A degree in public policy is designed to develop your analytical skills, understand of macroeconomic and micro-economic theory, and sociocultural issues that influence policy making.
Sociology is a science that tries to understand social action and to explain its cause and effect. The study of sociology enables us to understand the structure and dynamics of society including class, religion, sex, age, or race and other social classifications.
Travel and Tourism
Travel and tourism are fairly recent additions to the online social sciences. There are many areas of study in an online tourism degree program that you can specialize in, including: For example hospitality management, aromatherapy and spa, tourism, and travel. Courses in a program might include business management, information technology, finance, accounting, and interpersonal communications.
List of schools and programs
- Choose from bachelor’s degrees in applied linguistics, English, environmental studies, history, or liberal arts.
- Coursework will help you develop valuable business skills like critical thinking and communication.
- Degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults. Classes last for 5 weeks.
- All courses are taught by expert faculty with real-world experience.
- BA/Social Science - No Concentration
- MA Psychology
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Bachelor of Arts in English - Self-Designed
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Interdisciplinary Studies
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology / Human Development, Education and Health
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- BA: Liberal Studies
- AA: Liberal Arts
- BA: Psychology - General
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA: Interdisciplinary Studies
- BS in Interdisciplinary Studies
- MAR: Homiletics
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- M.S. Clinical Psychopharmacology Illinois Prescriptive Authority Preparation Track
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Science - Intercultual Studies
- General Studies