Many users are now turning to Free/Libre 0pen Source Software (OSS, FOSS or FLOSS), as more software developers join the movement to make software available free of charge to everyone. This page provides details of and links to open source software – one of the most important movements in the development of software or e-tools to have impacted on, and continue to impact on, the educational community.
OSS – as the name suggests – is software whose source code is open to modification by a user or developer. It is often contrasted with commercial, proprietary software whose code is protected by copyright from modification. In education, OSS is seen as part of the Open Education Resource movement.
What are the advantages?
Using open source software enables web developers to avoid the dangers of “lock-in” – where once you start using a certain piece of proprietary software you are locked in to using it on a continuing basis. It also avoids the expense of licensing and permits adaptation of the software to local needs. It is this last aspect that appeals to many educators and developers – the ability to modify the source code so as to make the software fit the actual needs of the user.
This clearly has important implications for small institutions, especially those in developing countries that are unable to afford expensive software in the large quantities required for educational purposes. The availability of the source code also makes it easier for such institutions in developing countries to develop local expertise and establish a local software industry.
This “Online and Distance Learning” website is built using open source software – an open source content mangement system called “Drupal”. Hundreds of developers around the world freely contribute their time to create modules and themes to make the system better. If you decide to build a website using a powerful content management system such as Drupal, consider hosting it with SiteGround – the hosting company that specializes in Drupal installations.
What are the implications for the software industry?
Because of the numbers of developers working on each open source software product, high quality can be achieved, e.g., Mozilla Firefox browser (recommended for browsing this site).
Even some of the industry giants have joined the open source software movement, e.g., Microsoft with their open source asp.net.
In April 2009, Microsoft released the ASP.NET MVC source code under the Microsoft Public License (MS-PL). MS-PL is an OSI-approved license. The MS-PL contains no platform restrictions and provides broad rights to modify and redistribute the source code. To learn more about the original release of ASP.NET MVC, read the free ASP.NET MVC PDF tutorial that covers building an end-to-end application (starting literally with File->New Project). For more recent information on Microsoft’s cloud computing platform – Windows Azure – watch the 90 minute end-to-end look provided by Scott Guthrie.
List of schools and programs
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Human Services Management
- And more...
- Top-ranked online MBA
- As few as 24 months to complete
- GMAT waivers for experienced professionals
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Six concentrations available
- AACSB accredited
- Master of Business Adminitration (MBA)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management
- And more...
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended Chamberlain University can be found at http://chamberlain.edu/ge
- RN to BSN Online Option
The online Master of Science in Data Science from the University of Denver Ritchie School prepares students to build the tools that collect data and use evaluation strategies to make critical business, research, and policy decisions. The program is designed for students of all academic backgrounds and offers four bridge courses to provide them with the programming skills they need to start classes. A bachelor’s degree is required to apply.
- Master's in Data Science
Simmons University’s online Master of Social Work program can be completed in as few as 15 months, and GRE scores are not required.
- Master of Social Work
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- BA Psychology - Child & Adolescent Development
- MBA with concentration in Quantitative Analysis
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism
- And more...
As a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health services that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health services landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
- Online Master of Public Health
- And more...