PhD stands for “Doctor of Philosophy”. These programs are research degrees, i.e., a major component of them is your own research, presented in a dissertation or thesis. But they also usually contain a taught element. This taught component may comprise higher degree courses in the subject area of your chosen research topic plus research methods courses. The latter provide you with the research techniques and skills that you need to complete your PhD research – which are also very useful skills for your work. Another part of this taught component is often the completion of a literature review of the area of your research – also essential for your PhD.
It is becoming increasingly popular for people to take doctoral programs that lead to a professional qualification such as Doctor of Education (EdD), Doctor of Psychology (PsyD), Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), Doctor of Computer Science (DCS), Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng), or Doctor of Public Health (DPH). These have the same status as PhDs – though sometimes the latter are seen as more “theoretical”.
This page helps students who are looking for PhD programs – whether online or on campus – and provides some advice on studying a PhD.
The thesis in PhD programs
Your thesis should make a distinct contribution to the knowledge of the subject and demonstrate originality, e.g., by including new facts, theories or critical analyses.
To help you conduct your research and write your thesis, you will be allocated a supervisor, or in some cases, two or three supervisors. Their role is not to do the research for you, or to do the writing for you. Instead, they provide constructive criticism on your proposals.
After you have completed and submitted your thesis, you will be asked to “defend it” in front of a panel of examiners. This means the examiners will have read your thesis and will ask you questions about it. So the final decision is not just based on what you have written – it is also based on your ability to demonstrate that you actually know what you have written and can argue for the original ideas you have expressed.
Taking a PhD involves making a considerable personal and financial investment. Thus it is very important that you are genuinely interested in the thesis topic that you choose. You can browse topics and programs at the foot of the page.
Studying PhD programs on campus
There really isn’t any limit to the subjects or areas in which you can study a PhD. But you may have to travel or move to a campus to get supervision for your particular thesis topic. You can browse schools and programs at the foot of the page.
The advantages of studying on campus include being surrounded by others also conducting research. Having such people around you helps to motivate and stimulate you. You also benefit from having regular access to your supervisor.
Studying PhD programs online
It is possible to take a wide variety of PhD programs on campus. But distance learning also makes it possible for learners to take PhDs from a distance education institution anywhere in the world. Of course, there may be a residential requirement, usually at the beginning and towards the end of an online PhD, but it is undoubtedly more convenient and cheaper to do it online than on-campus. But it is a long, hard and often lonely road. And you need the support of an understanding family and friends.
List of schools and programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Over 135 areas of study with classes offered online and on campus.
- Top Degree Programs include MBA, M.A. in Counseling, M.A. in Law, Masters of Divinity & more!
- Accredited by SACSCOC, with prestigious program accreditations from ABA, ACBSP, APA, ATS, CACREP, CCNE, and more.
- Ranked among top military-friendly schools. Flexible 8-week and 15-week courses.
- Regent ranked #5 among the Best Online MBA Programs in Virginia and #3 among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs (non-MBA) in the state, according to U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Regent ranked #4 among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs in Virginia, according to U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Explore bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in social science fields like psychology, applied behavioral science, sociology, cognitive studies, and public sociology.
- Pursue a tech degree in areas like computer software technology, cyber & data security technology, information technology, and more.
- Most degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for undergraduate programs and 6 weeks for graduate programs.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
Build a better future for yourself—and the world. This is the place where students graduate not only poised for career success—but also ready to make a difference in their communities.
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
Learning at Full Sail University has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas. Our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy. We have developed our own online learning environment with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.