Want to learn about psychology and human development. Developmental psychology programs are very popular amongst students. But it is quite a broad field. Some students are specifically interested in development psychology as it relates to infant and children, others to adolescents, or adult, or the elderly. Also, there are other specializations dependent on the approach taken such as cognitive development psychology or social development psychology.
This page has details about what is studied in developmental psychology, how to locate suitable university degree programs, the career prospects after graduation, and more.
What do you study?
Psychology and development study is possible online at the bachelor level, master’s level and doctoral level. A typical developmental psychology online program would include the stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis.
A typical Masters program may include the following: biological basis of behaviour, contemporary issues in psychology, statistics, human motivation, research design, cognitive development psychology, educational psychology, instructional design, tests and measurement, psychological testing, the developmental approach, culture and psychology.
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
In a Doctorate you can focus your study in an area that suits your professional interests, e.g., developmental science, instructional design, or teaching science. As a doctoral student, you may be required to attend some residential workshops during your program.
What are the career prospects with a psychology and human development degree?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector (e.g., marketing, personnel management), public sector (e.g., teaching, social/community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools). The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree.
One can find graduates of developmental psychology online degree in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. Graduates with a masters in developmental psychology can find jobs as guidance counselors, educators, or social workers. With a doctorate in developmental psychology it is possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges.
With a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary of about US$52,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!