What is psychology? “Psycho” means “the human mind” and “logy” means “the theory of”, so “psychology” is the theory of the human mind. And so the importance of psychology is that it can give us some idea of why we behave in a particular way and in this way enable us to help people function more effectively.
Psychology is sometimes classed as a science and sometimes as a social science – in fact there has been a philosophical debate about this for many years. In the end, it really depends on the exact nature of the program, the specializations offered and the department within which it is offered. Some of the specializations available include: clinical psychology, counseling psychology, educational psychology, and health psychology. This section will help you to find out more about psychology study and to locate suitable degree programs.
Many students who are are unable to attend on campus classes take psychology programs online rather than on-campus. This page is particularly for those students. However, if you wish to explore schools where campus-based psychology programs are available, you can go to the campus universities page for more details.
What do you study in a psychology program?
Psychologists study the human mind and human behavior. In a general psychology program you learn about physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of human behavior. You are introduced to a variety of research methods including controlled laboratory experiments, observation, interviews, questionnaires, clinical studies, and surveys. You also learn how to administer personality, performance, aptitude, or intelligence tests.
Psychologists are required in a variety of settings, including health and human services, business, education, law, and sports. They usually specialize in one of a number of different areas. So in addition to studying an online psychology degree program, you would be given an introduction to applied psychology in your choice of many different specialties. Psychology study online is possible at the associate, bachelor, master and doctoral levels.
A typical bachelor’s degree program may include: Introduction to Psychology; Statistics; Conditioned Learning; Physiological Psychology; Abnormal Psychology; Perception; Motivation, Health Psychology; Psychology of Stress; and, Human Communication.
Psychology masters programs may include the following: Biology; Contemporary Issues in Psychology; History and Systems of Psychology; Statistics; Research Design; The Cognitive Approach; Clinical Psychology; Tests and Measurement; Social Psychology; The Developmental Approach; and, Culture and Psychology. A thesis may be required in addition to or in place of some of the courses.
Make sure the program you take is accredited by an appropriate accrediting body, such as the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), or the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE).
What are the prospects for psychology graduates?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector (e.g., marketing, personnel management), public sector (e.g., teaching, social/community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools). The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree.
Salaries are high among the more popular specializations, especially for those with masters or doctors degrees. In the US, with an appropriate PhD psychology degree, forensic psychologists average around US$79,000, clinical psychologists over US$76,000 and school psychologists around US$55,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!