What is psychology? “Psycho” means “the human mind” and “logy” means “the theory of”, so “psychology” is the theory of the human mind. And so the importance of psychology is that it can give us some idea of why we behave in a particular way and in this way enable us to help people function more effectively.
Psychology is sometimes classed as a science and sometimes as a social science – in fact there has been a philosophical debate about this for many years. In the end, it really depends on the exact nature of the program, the specializations offered and the department within which it is offered. Some of the specializations available include: clinical psychology, counseling psychology, educational psychology, and health psychology. This section will help you to find out more about psychology study and to locate suitable degree programs.
Many students who are are unable to attend on campus classes take psychology programs online rather than on-campus. This page is particularly for those students. However, if you wish to explore schools where campus-based psychology programs are available, you can go to the campus universities page for more details.
What do you study in a psychology program?
Psychologists study the human mind and human behavior. In a general psychology program you learn about physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of human behavior. You are introduced to a variety of research methods including controlled laboratory experiments, observation, interviews, questionnaires, clinical studies, and surveys. You also learn how to administer personality, performance, aptitude, or intelligence tests.
Psychologists are required in a variety of settings, including health and human services, business, education, law, and sports. They usually specialize in one of a number of different areas. So in addition to studying an online psychology degree program, you would be given an introduction to applied psychology in your choice of many different specialties. Psychology study online is possible at the associate, bachelor, master and doctoral levels.
A typical bachelor’s degree program may include: Introduction to Psychology; Statistics; Conditioned Learning; Physiological Psychology; Abnormal Psychology; Perception; Motivation, Health Psychology; Psychology of Stress; and, Human Communication.
Psychology masters programs may include the following: Biology; Contemporary Issues in Psychology; History and Systems of Psychology; Statistics; Research Design; The Cognitive Approach; Clinical Psychology; Tests and Measurement; Social Psychology; The Developmental Approach; and, Culture and Psychology. A thesis may be required in addition to or in place of some of the courses.
Make sure the program you take is accredited by an appropriate accrediting body, such as the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), or the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE).
What are the prospects for psychology graduates?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector (e.g., marketing, personnel management), public sector (e.g., teaching, social/community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools). The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree.
Salaries are high among the more popular specializations, especially for those with masters or doctors degrees. In the US, with an appropriate PhD psychology degree, forensic psychologists average around US$79,000, clinical psychologists over US$76,000 and school psychologists around US$55,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology / Human Development, Education and Health
- And more...
- Understand the Human Experience with a Psychology Degree from Saint Leo University!
- Whether you're interested in general psychology or clinical practices, earn your Psychology degree from one of the top-ranked Universities in Florida!
- Receive an Accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in any of our multiple Psychology programs from Saint Leo University!
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited Psychology degree today!
- BA: Psychology - General
- BA: Psychology - Developmental
- MS: Psychology
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Addiction and Recovery
- Applied Psychology: Developmental Psychology
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Developmental Psychology
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- M.S. Clinical Psychopharmacology Illinois Prescriptive Authority Preparation Track
- And more...
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Integrative Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Counseling and Clinical
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Biological Psychology
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Marriage, Couple, and Family
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling
- And more...