Public administration is concerned with the organization and implementation of government policies and programs. If you wish to start or further your career in administration or management in the local, state, or federal government, you should consider getting a public administration degree. The education provided will prepare you to work in this field, and if you are already working in it, then a higher degree will enable you to progress further in your career.
On this page you can find out more about public administration programs, where the courses are, what jobs you can get and what you can earn. If you wish to find out more about studying at a traditional college or university go to the campus universities page.
What is studied in public administration programs?
Degree programs in this field are available at several levels. An associates degree can gain one an entry level job. But anyone interested in this field should at least consider a four year college degree, and bear in mind that those with more education will have increased job opportunities. Courses will probably include ones which cover: the foundations of public administration, public finance, human resource management, public-private collaboration, privatization, strategic planning, participative governance, contracting, and public policy formulation.
It is possible to take public administration as a major or a concentration in a business degree, designed to give graduates the knowledge, skills, and values to effectively apply various business principles and tools in the public administration setting.
Many may choose to complete their bachelors and go on to obtain a Masters or PhD degree later when they have gained experience in the field.
Career prospects for graduates of public administration
As a graduate of a public administration program you would have knowledge of public policies and good budget planning skills. In this way, you would be thoroughly prepared for a job where you can work for elected officials. While most graduates will obtain a government position, a few find jobs with schools and other private businesses or organizations. The private sector of this field can be quite interesting, and includes areas such as religious organizations, political groups, and other special interest groups. The responsibilities will be roughly the same in both sectors, private and public. Usually this job will require you to be responsible in a managerial type position for the people working under you, as well as making sure that goals are met. Typical jobs would include human resources manager, health care administrator, city manager, and municipal manager.
The expected salary and career outlook for those with a public administration degree will vary greatly depending upon ones degree, experience in the field, and job type. However, the median salary for those starting at entry level is around $45,000 in the first year. After ten years experience, this median salary grows to $74,000, and to $86,000 after twenty years of experience. This is definitely a job where skilled experience can be to your advantage. Keep in mind that salaries in government and education tend to be lower, with non profit organizations paying the least. While public administration is a broad field requiring a host of skills, those who get a good degree will have a competitive edge in the field.
List of schools and programs
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Non-Profit Management
- Master of Business Administration - Multidisciplinary
- And more...
- Discover 31 bachelor’s and master’s degrees in all areas of business, including business administration, finance, Marketing, and more.
- 24 business degree programs are accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE).
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- BA/Public Administration
- MA/Organizational Management
- MBA - Public Administration
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Public Administration - Public & Nonprofit Management
- Master of Public Administration: Disaster Management
- Master of Public Administration - Healthcare
- And more...
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
- Top-ranked online MBA
- As few as 24 months to complete
- GMAT waivers for experienced professionalsin 24 months.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Six concentrations available
- AACSB accredited
- Master of Business Adminitration (MBA)
The Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver has offered a top-quality business education since 1908. Through [email protected], students can earn a Daniels degree while continuing to pursue their personal and professional passions.
- Master of Business Administration
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Join UC Berkeley Executive Education’s Blockchain online program to explore the possibilities.
- Blockchain is the underlying technology that makes crypto currencies like Bitcoin and Ripple possible
- Learn block chain with UC Berkeley Executive Education online.
- Master Design Thinking
- Suit Up! Success Waits For No One!
- Take Action Now! Find The Perfect Business Program For You
- Get Matched For Free Today!