Public administration is concerned with the organization and implementation of government policies and programs. If you wish to start or further your career in administration or management in the local, state, or federal government, you should consider getting a public administration degree. The education provided will prepare you to work in this field, and if you are already working in it, then a higher degree will enable you to progress further in your career.
On this page you can find out more about public administration programs, where the courses are, what jobs you can get and what you can earn. If you wish to find out more about studying at a traditional college or university go to the campus universities page.
What is studied in public administration programs?
Degree programs in this field are available at several levels. An associates degree can gain one an entry level job. But anyone interested in this field should at least consider a four year college degree, and bear in mind that those with more education will have increased job opportunities. Courses will probably include ones which cover: the foundations of public administration, public finance, human resource management, public-private collaboration, privatization, strategic planning, participative governance, contracting, and public policy formulation.
It is possible to take public administration as a major or a concentration in a business degree, designed to give graduates the knowledge, skills, and values to effectively apply various business principles and tools in the public administration setting.
Many may choose to complete their bachelors and go on to obtain a Masters or PhD degree later when they have gained experience in the field.
Career prospects for graduates of public administration
As a graduate of a public administration program you would have knowledge of public policies and good budget planning skills. In this way, you would be thoroughly prepared for a job where you can work for elected officials. While most graduates will obtain a government position, a few find jobs with schools and other private businesses or organizations. The private sector of this field can be quite interesting, and includes areas such as religious organizations, political groups, and other special interest groups. The responsibilities will be roughly the same in both sectors, private and public. Usually this job will require you to be responsible in a managerial type position for the people working under you, as well as making sure that goals are met. Typical jobs would include human resources manager, health care administrator, city manager, and municipal manager.
The expected salary and career outlook for those with a public administration degree will vary greatly depending upon ones degree, experience in the field, and job type. However, the median salary for those starting at entry level is around $45,000 in the first year. After ten years experience, this median salary grows to $74,000, and to $86,000 after twenty years of experience. This is definitely a job where skilled experience can be to your advantage. Keep in mind that salaries in government and education tend to be lower, with non profit organizations paying the least. While public administration is a broad field requiring a host of skills, those who get a good degree will have a competitive edge in the field.
List of schools and programs
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Government and Policy
- Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Health Care Management
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Public Administration
- Public Administration - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Public Administration - D.B.A.
- And more...
- Separate yourself from the pack by completing one of Saint Leo’s highly-rated Business degree programs. Associates, Bachelors, and Graduate degrees in highly sought-after concentrations available!
- Learn the necessary skills and build the foundation to propel your business career by receiving an education from our faculty members with true real-world experience.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited Business degree today!
- MBA: Cybersecurity Management
- AA: Business Administration
- DBA: Business Administration
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Science - Business Administration
- Associate of Science - Business Administration