Teaching at secondary level (grades 7-12) can be both challenging and rewarding. In order to proceed towards this career goal, you would usually need to take a bachelors degree in your chosen subject (e.g., math, English, chemistry) and then follow this with a program leading to teacher certification. It is also possible to take a bachelors degree in secondary education, which includes teacher certification. Getting a secondary education masters degree can open doors that lead to more challenging educational or administrative positions in the subject area for which you are most passionate.
This page is about secondary education programs, how they prepare students for a most rewarding career, where you can take them, the career prospects, and more. These programs are readily available online so they are accessible without leaving employment. But if you prefer to study a campus-based program, check the information On Campus Universities.
What do secondary education programs involve?
Secondary education programs can be for teachers who want to teach in secondary schools or for teachers who want to enter administration. For those wishing to pursue the teaching track, it is possible to study a bachelors degree in secondary education with an emphasis in one subject area, e.g., business education, math or English. The business education emphasis would include: economics, accounting, marketing, management, ethics and finance. The math emphasis would include: algebra, trigonometry, calculus, analytic geometry, probability and statistics. The English emphasis would include: various genres and periods of literature, as well as English language, grammar and linguistics.
The Masters programs in secondary education are much more intense than the overview or basic courses taken in a bachelors. These programs include critical discussions on readings and applied classroom learning practicum. The program covers classroom management skills and includes extensive reading material. The history and theory of curriculum in K-12 is covered so that you have a complete grasp of learning concepts and teaching modalities for your specialty. After completing the 4-year bachelors program, this program will take an additional 1-2 years.
What salary can you expect on completion of a masters?
The pay scale for completion of a program will vary based on several factors. Some subject areas are in extreme demand and the pay will be in excess of $100,000 per year. However, in most cases, an individual who completes a program can expect to make a minimum of $40,000 to $63,000 per year. This amount will vary on the location that you are going to teach and the type of school district your choose to work in.
List of schools and programs
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MA in Teaching - Secondary Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Program Specialist in Math Specialist
- And more...
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Graduate Certificate in Online Teaching
- Master of Education
- Master of Education / Online Teaching
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!