If you have obtained a masters degree and passed the required examinations to begin teaching, you may be beginning to explore options for expanding your teaching opportunities and earning a greater income. Getting a secondary education doctoral degree can open doors that lead to more challenging educational or administrative positions in the subject area for which you are most passionate.
If your goal is to enter the administrative side of education, a doctorate in secondary education program that focuses on supervisory and administrative tasks in a school will be beneficial. On the other hand, if you want to teach in secondary schools, then it would be beneficial to pursue a curriculum/instructional design specialization in your doctoral program. These programs are readily available online so they are accessible without leaving employment. This page provides more detail about the programs, where you can take them and what the career prospects are.
What do the programs involve?
After completing a masters program, a secondary education doctoral program will take an additional three years. In most cases, individuals getting their degree are working as full-time teachers and take longer to complete the program so that they can accommodate their work schedule. Most of these programs are flexible and take into account the fact that the students participating are working teachers/administrators.
It is important to note that the type of doctoral program most useful to you will depend on whether you want to concentrate on teaching in secondary schools or want to enter administration/management.
Programs in the first category (e.g., a Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction) prepare educators as change agents and teacher-leaders in secondary education. Typical content would include: instructional systems design, theory and technologies to accomplish optimal educational and training results; leadership skills for effective management of instructional design projects; evaluation of various multimedia applications; and, integration of technology solutions. Some programs concentrate on e-learning, and include: visioning, planning, and designing an e-learning environment; the legal aspects of e-learning; technology resources; teaching and learning in synchronous and asynchronous environments; and instructional design for e-learning.
Programs in the second category (e.g., a Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership) are designed to enhance your expertise and career potential in secondary school administration. More details of these can be found on the educational administration and leadership page.
What are the prospects with a secondary education doctoral degree?
The pay scale for completion of a program will vary based on several factors. Some subject areas are in extreme demand and the pay will be in excess of $100,000 per year. However, in most cases, an individual who completes a program can expect to make a minimum of $40,000 to $63,000 per year. This amount will vary on the location that you are going to teach and the type of school district your choose to work in.
List of schools and programs
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with a master's degree in education from GCU.
- Choose from a focus in gifted ed, early childhood ed, educational admin, special ed and more.
- Programs available for aspiring teachers and continuing education courses for current teachers.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- Make the impact through teaching you always knew you could at Keiser University
- Find degree programs in Education including Elementary Education and Leadership
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Some degrees are taught in multiple languages including Spanish
- Master of Science in Education
- Master of Science in Education, Online Teaching and Learning
- Master of Science in Education, Teaching and Learning
- And more...
- Take your education career further with a Master's or Doctorate degree from Argosy
- Non-profit with NCATE accreditation for the College of Education
- Choose degrees in Teaching and Learning, Cirriculumn and Instruction and more
- Over 101,000 Argosy University graduates
- Various forms of financial aid are available to students who are eligible
- Curriculum and Instruction (EdD)
- Higher and Postsecondary Education (EdD)
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (Master of Education) - Online
- M. Ed. Instructional Technology