If you have obtained a masters degree and passed the required examinations to begin teaching, you may be beginning to explore options for expanding your teaching opportunities and earning a greater income. Getting a secondary education doctoral degree can open doors that lead to more challenging educational or administrative positions in the subject area for which you are most passionate.
If your goal is to enter the administrative side of education, a doctorate in secondary education program that focuses on supervisory and administrative tasks in a school will be beneficial. On the other hand, if you want to teach in secondary schools, then it would be beneficial to pursue a curriculum/instructional design specialization in your doctoral program. These programs are readily available online so they are accessible without leaving employment. This page provides more detail about the programs, where you can take them and what the career prospects are.
What do the programs involve?
After completing a masters program, a secondary education doctoral program will take an additional three years. In most cases, individuals getting their degree are working as full-time teachers and take longer to complete the program so that they can accommodate their work schedule. Most of these programs are flexible and take into account the fact that the students participating are working teachers/administrators.
It is important to note that the type of doctoral program most useful to you will depend on whether you want to concentrate on teaching in secondary schools or want to enter administration/management.
Programs in the first category (e.g., a Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction) prepare educators as change agents and teacher-leaders in secondary education. Typical content would include: instructional systems design, theory and technologies to accomplish optimal educational and training results; leadership skills for effective management of instructional design projects; evaluation of various multimedia applications; and, integration of technology solutions. Some programs concentrate on e-learning, and include: visioning, planning, and designing an e-learning environment; the legal aspects of e-learning; technology resources; teaching and learning in synchronous and asynchronous environments; and instructional design for e-learning.
Programs in the second category (e.g., a Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership) are designed to enhance your expertise and career potential in secondary school administration. More details of these can be found on the educational administration and leadership page.
What are the prospects with a secondary education doctoral degree?
The pay scale for completion of a program will vary based on several factors. Some subject areas are in extreme demand and the pay will be in excess of $100,000 per year. However, in most cases, an individual who completes a program can expect to make a minimum of $40,000 to $63,000 per year. This amount will vary on the location that you are going to teach and the type of school district your choose to work in.
List of schools and programs
- Master's in Education Online From Grand Canyon University
- Initial licensure, continuing education and postsecondary education programs offered
- Programs: Administration, Leadership, Elementary Ed, Secondary Ed & more
- Programs offered in an online format for convenience and flexibility
- Interact with peers in a dynamic learning environment
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA in Teaching - Secondary Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Urban Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Instructional Design & Technology
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- MEd: Instructional Leadership & Reading
- MEd: Educational Leadership
- MS: Instructional Design
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - EdS
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- And more...
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!