This page is about social networking and the various tools that social sites provide for users to interact, such as chat, messaging, email, video, voice chat, file sharing, blogging, curating, social bookmarking, and discussion groups.
Social network sites are websites that use social media to allow a user to create a public self-profile and also maintain a list of other users in their social network. The user can usually view the profiles and social networks of others within the system. The sites usually provide several ways for users to interact, such as chat, messaging, email, video, voice chat, file sharing, blogging, and discussion groups.
After joining a social network site, the user is asked to answer a series of personal questions. The user’s online profile is generated from these answers which typically include descriptors such as age, location, interests, and an “about me” section. Most sites also encourage users to upload a profile photo. Some sites allow users to enhance their profiles by adding multimedia content or modifying their profile’s look and feel. The visibility of a profile varies by site and according to user discretion, privacy of information is a hot issue at present in the social network arena. Users are prompted to identify others in the system with whom they have a relationship.
Wikipedia provides a list of over 200 social network websites, with Facebook being the mostly widely used in 2011, (see infographic below). Many networking sites seem to focus on a specific target audience based on location, nationality, ethnicity, or interests. Some social network sites, e.g., LinkedIn, are specifically aimed at professionals.
What is social bookmarking?
Social bookmarking has the power to change the way you look for material on the web. In a personal bookmarking system such as the one found in most browsers, users store links to web pages that they find useful. In a social bookmarking system these lists can be made accessible by the owner to other users of that bookmarking system. The users categorize each online social bookmark by the use of informally assigned, user-defined keywords or tags. Other users with similar interests can view the links in the system by topic, category, or tags. The results of these searches are usually more useful to the user than those conducted using traditional search engines on the web. So in social bookmarking sharing the tagging information assists in research by others.
Examples of social bookmarking sites
There are now some very attractive variants on the social bookmarking theme that come under the description of “curating“. These are tools that enable users to create lists of resources on particular themes and then publish them on the Internet.
Paper.li enables you to curate your content in the form of online newspapers, whereas Scoop.it does it in the form of story-boards, and one increasingly popular curating system (Pinterest) enables the creation of pin boards (as shown in the picture here).
List of schools and programs
Learning at Full Sail University has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas. Our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy. We have developed our own online learning environment with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Mobile Development, Bachelor of Science
- Computer Science Bachelors - Online
- Web Design and Development, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Web Development - Bachelor's
- Web Development - Associate's
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- BS: Software Engineering