This page is about social networking and the various tools that social sites provide for users to interact, such as chat, messaging, email, video, voice chat, file sharing, blogging, curating, social bookmarking, and discussion groups.
Social network sites are websites that use social media to allow a user to create a public self-profile and also maintain a list of other users in their social network. The user can usually view the profiles and social networks of others within the system. The sites usually provide several ways for users to interact, such as chat, messaging, email, video, voice chat, file sharing, blogging, and discussion groups.
After joining a social network site, the user is asked to answer a series of personal questions. The user’s online profile is generated from these answers which typically include descriptors such as age, location, interests, and an “about me” section. Most sites also encourage users to upload a profile photo. Some sites allow users to enhance their profiles by adding multimedia content or modifying their profile’s look and feel. The visibility of a profile varies by site and according to user discretion, privacy of information is a hot issue at present in the social network arena. Users are prompted to identify others in the system with whom they have a relationship.
Wikipedia provides a list of over 200 social network websites, with Facebook being the mostly widely used in 2011, (see infographic below). Many networking sites seem to focus on a specific target audience based on location, nationality, ethnicity, or interests. Some social network sites, e.g., LinkedIn, are specifically aimed at professionals.
What is social bookmarking?
Social bookmarking has the power to change the way you look for material on the web. In a personal bookmarking system such as the one found in most browsers, users store links to web pages that they find useful. In a social bookmarking system these lists can be made accessible by the owner to other users of that bookmarking system. The users categorize each online social bookmark by the use of informally assigned, user-defined keywords or tags. Other users with similar interests can view the links in the system by topic, category, or tags. The results of these searches are usually more useful to the user than those conducted using traditional search engines on the web. So in social bookmarking sharing the tagging information assists in research by others.
Examples of social bookmarking sites
There are now some very attractive variants on the social bookmarking theme that come under the description of “curating“. These are tools that enable users to create lists of resources on particular themes and then publish them on the Internet.
Paper.li enables you to curate your content in the form of online newspapers, whereas Scoop.it does it in the form of story-boards, and one increasingly popular curating system (Pinterest) enables the creation of pin boards (as shown in the picture here).
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Web Development - Bachelor's
- Web Development - Associate's
- Mobile Development, Bachelor of Science
- Software Development Bachelors - Online
- Software Development Associates - Online
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!