As computers and mobile applications become ever more an integral part of our lives and our economy, the demand for professionals with the skills to design, develop, and maintain software is rising rapidly. Software development degree programs prepare graduates to develop new computer software systems and incorporate them into a wide range of applications. They provide the theoretical and practical background, and the languages and technologies in software development and maintenance to create applications that meet customer specifications and satisfy project requirements.
This page has more details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are after graduation, and more. If you are interested in a degree in software development, you might also like to consider one in a closely related field such as computer science, information systems or technology management.
What do you study?
A typical software development degree would include: information technology, web development, analyzing user needs, designing and managing database systems, software applications (enterprise applications, embedded systems, and mobile applications), software development methodologies, the software development life cycle, scripting and programming, and operating systems.
Also included would be the critical skills a software developer needs such as: project management, information security, networking fundamentals, leadership and management, technical writing and communication skills. Programs may also include the impact software development has on business, enabling graduates to evaluate trends, practices, and products to determine their effectiveness.
Programs will include selected industry-standard programming languages. Some programs will also incorporate industry-recognized certifications, such as the Oracle Certified Professional and Java SE 7 Programmer, and these clearly give graduates an advantage in the job market.
What are the prospects with a software development degree?
Demand for software developers is rising rapidly. Some of the expected jobs that are available to software development graduates are in programming, software design, development of mobile applications, and web design. Some may also find work in network support and security, which are two important roles in the information technology field.
In the US, graduates of software development can expect to make around $40,000 to $60,000 a year, after gaining some experience in the field. Experience helps boost salary rates. Maintaining updated knowledge through professional development in the chosen field is important, as things change rapidly in this field.
List of schools and programs
Learning at Salem University Online is a community effort. You will have a student success advisor dedicated to your success, and our faculty is committed to your unique learning path as you pursue your college degree.
- Software Development (BS)
- Computer Science (AS)
- Data Science (BS)
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) Data Science
- Data Science - MS
- And more...
The path to a brighter future isn’t always clear. We face roadblocks and detours. Sometimes, we make a wrong turn and get lost. No matter where you are in your journey, Baker College can help you move forward to a rewarding career.
At Baker College, we know the importance of a quality education. We are regionally accredited with award-winning faculty. We will be there every step of the way so you can get where you’re going.
- Computer Science
- Game Software Development
- Web Development Programming Diploma Program
Since 1866, Davenport University has been providing students with real-world experience, giving them the edge they need to get the career they want.
Our goal is to offer guaranteed job placement to most of our students by 2020.
- Computer Science, BS
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Software and Mobile Applications Development (BS)
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
For important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, go to: www.coloradotech.edu/disclosures
- Colorado Springs - Doctor of Computer Science - Computer Science
- Colorado Springs - Bachelor of Science - Computer Science