As computers and mobile applications become ever more an integral part of our lives and our economy, the demand for professionals with the skills to design, develop, and maintain software is rising rapidly. Software development degree programs prepare graduates to develop new computer software systems and incorporate them into a wide range of applications. They provide the theoretical and practical background, and the languages and technologies in software development and maintenance to create applications that meet customer specifications and satisfy project requirements.
This page has more details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are after graduation, and more. If you are interested in a degree in software development, you might also like to consider one in a closely related field such as computer science, information systems or technology management.
What do you study?
A typical software development degree would include: information technology, web development, analyzing user needs, designing and managing database systems, software applications (enterprise applications, embedded systems, and mobile applications), software development methodologies, the software development life cycle, scripting and programming, and operating systems.
Also included would be the critical skills a software developer needs such as: project management, information security, networking fundamentals, leadership and management, technical writing and communication skills. Programs may also include the impact software development has on business, enabling graduates to evaluate trends, practices, and products to determine their effectiveness.
Programs will include selected industry-standard programming languages. Some programs will also incorporate industry-recognized certifications, such as the Oracle Certified Professional and Java SE 7 Programmer, and these clearly give graduates an advantage in the job market.
What are the prospects with a software development degree?
Demand for software developers is rising rapidly. Some of the expected jobs that are available to software development graduates are in programming, software design, development of mobile applications, and web design. Some may also find work in network support and security, which are two important roles in the information technology field.
In the US, graduates of software development can expect to make around $40,000 to $60,000 a year, after gaining some experience in the field. Experience helps boost salary rates. Maintaining updated knowledge through professional development in the chosen field is important, as things change rapidly in this field.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Computer Science: Cyber-Security
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Data Science - MS
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!