To make a successful career in the world of sport, you don’t have to be a player – you can instead be employed in sports management. There is a variety of challenging and lucrative sports management jobs available, and many career paths to choose from. Professional sporting teams employ many staff members, in various roles, e.g., as coaches, trainers, athletics directors, and recruiters. All these roles are aspects of sports management.
A sports management degree program can help you get a successful career in the world of sport, even though you might not be athletic. This page tells you more about sport management study, where you can find suitable degree programs, what the carer prospects are, and more …
What jobs do graduates get?
Sports management is a diverse field. Coaching is a great option if you want to be heavily involved in a sporting activity that you are passionate about. For this, you need to have playing experience and have enjoyed some personal success. In addition, a comprehensive knowledge of the game is imperative. This includes all the rules, regulations, and everything else attached to it.
When you graduate in sports management, you can start a coaching career by working as a high school or college coach. As you build up your resume, you can then better opportunities. Alternatively, you could become a trainer who works alongside a coach. Trainers keep the team physically fit, organize their nutrition, and overall health. To work as a trainer, your coursework study should have included subjects like physiology and anatomy.
If you love all sports, another position to be pursued is that of an Athletics Director. Again, you can work in a high school or college environment, or seek employment with a professional sporting association. The main components of this job are management and marketing. In a similar line, there is the opportunity to work as an Events Manager. This work involves organizing tickets, supervising staff, coordinating schedules, marketing, and advertising.
What are the prospects for graduates?
In the USA, the future is very bright for anyone with a sports management qualification. Up to the year 2018, the Bureau of Labor predicts that job employment opportunities will keep pace with other professional occupations. Many jobs will become vacant due to the increasing number of baby-boomers about to retire. It is difficult to give an average sports management salary because it comprises so many diverse occupations. Nevertheless, the earning potential is excellent, especially with a masters in sports management.
List of schools and programs
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Sports Management
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Sports Marketing and Media, Bachelor of Science
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Management / Sport Management
- B.S. in Sport Management
- Separate yourself from the pack by completing one of Saint Leo’s highly-rated Business degree programs. Associates, Bachelors, and Graduate degrees in highly sought-after concentrations available!
- Learn the necessary skills and build the foundation to propel your business career by receiving an education from our faculty members with true real-world experience.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited Business degree today!
- MBA: Sport Business
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- M.S. in Sport Management (Non-Thesis)
- Master of Science: Sport Management: Outdoor Adventure Sport (Thesis)
- Master of Science: Sport Management: Sport Administration (Non-Thesis)
- And more...
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MBA Sports Management and Recreation
- MSE Exercise Science
Learning at Salem University Online is a community effort. You will have a student success advisor dedicated to your success, and our faculty is committed to your unique learning path as you pursue your college degree.
- Sports and Recreation Management (BS)
- Sports and Recreation Management (MS)
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Physical Education
- Bachelor of Science - Physical Education - Wellness/Sports Medicine
- Bachelor of Science - Physical Education - Sport Management
- And more...