To make a successful career in the world of sport, you don’t have to be a player – you can instead be employed in sports management. There is a variety of challenging and lucrative sports management jobs available, and many career paths to choose from. Professional sporting teams employ many staff members, in various roles, e.g., as coaches, trainers, athletics directors, and recruiters. All these roles are aspects of sports management.
A sports management degree program can help you get a successful career in the world of sport, even though you might not be athletic. This page tells you more about sport management study, where you can find suitable degree programs, what the carer prospects are, and more …
What jobs do graduates get?
Sports management is a diverse field. Coaching is a great option if you want to be heavily involved in a sporting activity that you are passionate about. For this, you need to have playing experience and have enjoyed some personal success. In addition, a comprehensive knowledge of the game is imperative. This includes all the rules, regulations, and everything else attached to it.
When you graduate in sports management, you can start a coaching career by working as a high school or college coach. As you build up your resume, you can then better opportunities. Alternatively, you could become a trainer who works alongside a coach. Trainers keep the team physically fit, organize their nutrition, and overall health. To work as a trainer, your coursework study should have included subjects like physiology and anatomy.
If you love all sports, another position to be pursued is that of an Athletics Director. Again, you can work in a high school or college environment, or seek employment with a professional sporting association. The main components of this job are management and marketing. In a similar line, there is the opportunity to work as an Events Manager. This work involves organizing tickets, supervising staff, coordinating schedules, marketing, and advertising.
What are the prospects for graduates?
In the USA, the future is very bright for anyone with a sports management qualification. Up to the year 2018, the Bureau of Labor predicts that job employment opportunities will keep pace with other professional occupations. Many jobs will become vacant due to the increasing number of baby-boomers about to retire. It is difficult to give an average sports management salary because it comprises so many diverse occupations. Nevertheless, the earning potential is excellent, especially with a masters in sports management.
List of schools and programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Sport Management: General
- BS: Sport Management: Sport Administration
- Master of Science: Sport Management: Sport Administration (Non-Thesis)
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Sports Management
- Separate yourself from the pack by completing one of Saint Leo’s highly-rated Business degree programs. Associates, Bachelors, and Graduate degrees in highly sought-after concentrations available!
- Learn the necessary skills and build the foundation to propel your business career by receiving an education from our faculty members with true real-world experience.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited Business degree today!
- MBA: Sport Business
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Sport Management
Learning at Full Sail University has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas. Our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy. We have developed our own online learning environment with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Sports Marketing and Media, Bachelor of Science
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Physical Education
- Bachelor of Science - Physical Education - Wellness/Sports Medicine
- Bachelor of Science - Physical Education - Sport Management
- And more...