Are you wanting to study psychology and have a strong interest in sports? Try looking at sports psychology programs. Linking sport and psychology in one degree is a relatively recent phenomenon. And yet so much of performing well in sport is about motivation, stress, endurance, will power – all psychological factors. So it is surprising that our psychological knowledge about such factors has not been applied to sport in a scientific way before. Even so, psychology of sport and exercise programs are rapidly becoming very popular amongst students, especially at master’s and doctoral levels.
You can study an MS in Sport Psychology program, or an MA in Psychology with a specialization in Sports and Performance Psychology, or an MA in Sport – Exercise Psychology. You can also study in related fields such as Health and Wellness Psychology, which can be studies at Masters and PhD levels. This page will help you to find out more about sport psychology study and to locate suitable university degree programs, especially if you want to take your sports psychology online.
What do you study in sports psychology programs?
It is usual to take a sports psychology degree at master’s or doctoral level rather than undergraduate level.
A typical sports psychology masters may include the following: Biological Basis of Behavior, Contemporary Issues in Psychology, Statistics, Human Motivation, Research Design, Cognitive psychology, Tests and measurement, Human development, Cultural diversity, Coaching, and Mind-body practices
As a sports psychology doctoral student you can focus your study in an area that suits your professional interests, but your aim will be to use the knowledge gained in the sports psychology graduate program to make people more effective. In addition to taking graduate courses similar to or the same as those in the masters program, you will need to present a substantial thesis based on your own original research, and make an oral defense of it.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of sports psychology online degree in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. Graduates with a sports psychology masters can find jobs as guidance counselors, educators.
With a doctorate in sport and exercise psychology it is possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges. In the US, as an Assistant Professor you would earn about US$54,000, as a Associate Professor about US$67,000, and as a full Professor you would earn about US$85,000 – but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology / Human Development, Education, and Health
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Earn your Bachelor of Arts in Psychology - 100% online
- South University brings over 115 years of tradition and achievement to a supportive online classroom
- Topics covered include psychological disorders, personality development, social perception, and more
- Concentrations include Behavioral Health, General Psychology, and Experimental/Research
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Psychology (BA)
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Organizational Leadership (MS)
- Organizational Leadership (EdD)
- Psychology (BA)
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- M.S. in Psychology (online)
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Earning A Psychology Degree Doesn’t Have To Be An Abstract Concept
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Top Degree Programs Available In Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Human Services, And More
- Make The Move From Thinking To Doing By Answering A Few Simple Questions Today.