Are you wanting to study psychology and have a strong interest in sports? Try looking at sports psychology programs. Linking sport and psychology in one degree is a relatively recent phenomenon. And yet so much of performing well in sport is about motivation, stress, endurance, will power – all psychological factors. So it is surprising that our psychological knowledge about such factors has not been applied to sport in a scientific way before. Even so, psychology of sport and exercise programs are rapidly becoming very popular amongst students, especially at master’s and doctoral levels.
You can study an MS in Sport Psychology program, or an MA in Psychology with a specialization in Sports and Performance Psychology, or an MA in Sport – Exercise Psychology. You can also study in related fields such as Health and Wellness Psychology, which can be studies at Masters and PhD levels. This page will help you to find out more about sport psychology study and to locate suitable university degree programs, especially if you want to take your sports psychology online.
What do you study in sports psychology programs?
It is usual to take a sports psychology degree at master’s or doctoral level rather than undergraduate level.
A typical sports psychology masters may include the following: Biological Basis of Behavior, Contemporary Issues in Psychology, Statistics, Human Motivation, Research Design, Cognitive psychology, Tests and measurement, Human development, Cultural diversity, Coaching, and Mind-body practices
As a sports psychology doctoral student you can focus your study in an area that suits your professional interests, but your aim will be to use the knowledge gained in the sports psychology graduate program to make people more effective. In addition to taking graduate courses similar to or the same as those in the masters program, you will need to present a substantial thesis based on your own original research, and make an oral defense of it.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of sports psychology online degree in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. Graduates with a sports psychology masters can find jobs as guidance counselors, educators.
With a doctorate in sport and exercise psychology it is possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges. In the US, as an Assistant Professor you would earn about US$54,000, as a Associate Professor about US$67,000, and as a full Professor you would earn about US$85,000 – but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Dual Degree: MA Counseling Psychology and MS Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- And more...