Are you wanting to study psychology and have a strong interest in sports? Try looking at sports psychology programs. Linking sport and psychology in one degree is a relatively recent phenomenon. And yet so much of performing well in sport is about motivation, stress, endurance, will power – all psychological factors. So it is surprising that our psychological knowledge about such factors has not been applied to sport in a scientific way before. Even so, psychology of sport and exercise programs are rapidly becoming very popular amongst students, especially at master’s and doctoral levels.
You can study an MS in Sport Psychology program, or an MA in Psychology with a specialization in Sports and Performance Psychology, or an MA in Sport – Exercise Psychology. You can also study in related fields such as Health and Wellness Psychology, which can be studied at Masters and PhD levels. This page will help you to find out more about sport psychology study and to locate suitable university degree programs, especially if you want to take your sports psychology online.
What do you study in sports psychology programs?
It is usual to take a sports psychology degree at master’s or doctoral level rather than undergraduate level.
A typical sports psychology masters may include the following: Biological Basis of Behavior, Contemporary Issues in Psychology, Statistics, Human Motivation, Research Design, Cognitive psychology, Tests and measurement, Human development, Cultural diversity, Coaching, and Mind-body practices
As a sports psychology doctoral student you can focus your study in an area that suits your professional interests, but your aim will be to use the knowledge gained in the sports psychology graduate program to make people more effective. In addition to taking graduate courses similar to or the same as those in the masters program, you will need to present a substantial thesis based on your own original research, and make an oral defense of it.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of sports psychology online degree in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. Graduates with a sports psychology masters can find jobs as guidance counselors, educators.
With a doctorate in sport and exercise psychology it is possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges. In the US, as an Assistant Professor you would earn about US$54,000, as a Associate Professor about US$67,000, and as a full Professor you would earn about US$85,000 – but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Customize your coursework - select a concentration or specialization to best suit your individual and career goals.
- Learn from renowned faculty with real-world experience and expertise in their respective fields.
- Experience dynamic and engaging content through video conferencing and podcasts to engage in real-time conversation and learn to express ideas succinctly and confidently to a diverse group of peers.
- Receive robust, comprehensive career support services to help you define your career goals and leverage your new degree to the fullest.
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- M.A. Psychology
- MA Behavioral Economics
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology / Human Development, Education and Health
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!