Substance abuse counselors (also called behavioral disorder counselors) help people who have problems with gambling, alcohol, drugs, substance abuse and eating disorders. They help individuals to identify behaviors and problems related to their addiction. This can be done on an individual basis, but it is frequently done in a group setting. Counselors also conduct programs aimed at preventing addictions. They often work evenings to counsel clients who work during the day.
Substance abuse courses help counselors to understand more about the issues and to assist people with their problems. Most people study substance abuse at the bachelor or master levels, so you might also want to check the substance abuse masters programs. Many prefer to study online because it gives them flexibility and control over their study program. This page will help you to find out more about the field and to locate suitable online programs.
What do you study in substance abuse online programs?
At bachelor’s level the courses typically include the study of the psychopathological behaviors impact on the individual, family, and society; screening and assessment methods at the beginning of treatment; and case management during the treatment phases. Counseling skills courses and a fieldwork/practicum course are also included.
Courses at master’s level would include counseling theories, group counseling, social and cultural issues, psychopharmacology, family issues. In addition, there will often be a supervised internship for students to develop their counseling skills.
What are the career prospect for graduates?
Substance abuse and behavior disorder counselors are generally governed by a different State agency or board than other counselors. The criteria for their licensure vary greatly and in some cases, these counselors may only need an associate’s degree, but national certification as a Master Addictions Counselor (MAC) requires a master’s degree in counseling, National Counselor Certification, and three years of clinical experience. Those interested in entering the field should research State requirements to determine what qualifications they must have.
The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree. In the US, after 5 years of experience a substance abuse counselor earns on average over $34,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- M.S. in Human Services - Drug and Alcohol Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- And more...
- Prepare for a career in Psychology with a Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate degree at Keiser University. On Campus or Online options available. Take the First Step Today!
- Programs include BA, MS, or PhD in Psychology, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, and more!
- We offer you the support and flexibility you need to fit education into your busy life with our one class at a time schedule
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- Keiser University offers practical learning experiences to prepare you for the modern workplace in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Psychology - Associate Degree
- Psychology - Bachelor Degree
- Psychology - Master Degree
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- And more...
- Earning A Psychology Degree Doesn’t Have To Be An Abstract Concept
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Top Degree Programs Available In Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Human Services, And More
- Make The Move From Thinking To Doing By Answering A Few Simple Questions Today.