What do you need to get into the video games industry? A love of games is an advantage, but game development also requires serious technical skills acquired through degree level education. Only highly qualified people find jobs in this competitive environment. A degree in video games development and design is probably the best qualification you can get for entry into wide range of positions in the industry, but related degrees in the art and design area may also be useful. This web page tells you about the options available, where you can study suitable programs, what the prospects are on completion, and more …
What is included in video games education?
Degrees in video games development, games design, game art, game production or similar programs relating to video games, are often the entry point into positions such as game and interactive software tester, game maintenance administrator, documentation writer, and support specialist. In your video games development degree you will usually be able to select a specialty, such as 3-D modeling and animation, digital illustration, 3D animation, broadcast graphic design, advergaming and storyboard art.
Jobs in video gaming
Video gaming is a flourishing business. Typical jobs would include:
- Game testing
- Interactive software tester
- Developing computer games
- 2-D conceptual artist
- 3-D character builder
- 3-D object modeler
- Interactivity designer
- Background artist
- Documentation writer
The video game and entertainment industry has seen a steady increase over the past 6 to 7 years averaging 14% growth per year, and is expected to continue this strong growth for years to come. With 2005 revenues in excess of $7 billion (source: Entertainment Software Association), the entertainment industry provides plenty of room for upward mobility if you are interested in video game developing.
List of schools and programs
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Web Design and Development, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Game Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- And more...
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Web Design & Development
The Secret to Getting Ahead Is Getting Started
With a mission of helping students graduate, launch better careers, and gain greater independence to live the life they want as soon as possible, Independence University offers flexible fully online degree programs. Program options are available in healthcare, business, information technology, and graphic arts. The programs are career-focused to help ensure the knowledge and skills you learn match what today's employers are looking for.
- Graphic Arts (BS)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Fine Arts: Graphic Design