What do you need to get into the video games industry? A love of games is an advantage, but game development also requires serious technical skills acquired through degree level education. Only highly qualified people find jobs in this competitive environment. A degree in video games development and design is probably the best qualification you can get for entry into wide range of positions in the industry, but related degrees in the art and design area may also be useful. This web page tells you about the options available, where you can study suitable programs, what the prospects are on completion, and more …
What is included in video games education?
Degrees in video games development, games design, game art, game production or similar programs relating to video games, are often the entry point into positions such as game and interactive software tester, game maintenance administrator, documentation writer, and support specialist. In your video games development degree you will usually be able to select a specialty, such as 3-D modeling and animation, digital illustration, 3D animation, broadcast graphic design, advergaming and storyboard art.
Jobs in video gaming
Video gaming is a flourishing business. Typical jobs would include:
- Game testing
- Interactive software tester
- Developing computer games
- 2-D conceptual artist
- 3-D character builder
- 3-D object modeler
- Interactivity designer
- Background artist
- Documentation writer
The video game and entertainment industry has seen a steady increase over the past 6 to 7 years averaging 14% growth per year, and is expected to continue this strong growth for years to come. With 2005 revenues in excess of $7 billion (source: Entertainment Software Association), the entertainment industry provides plenty of room for upward mobility if you are interested in video game developing.
List of schools and programs
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Arts in Visual Communication Design
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Web Design and Development, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Game Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- And more...
- Enhance Your Professional Value with a Liberal Arts Degree!
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Liberal Arts & Sciences, Communication & Public Relations, English, History, Women's Studies Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Liberal Arts Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!